smoke from engine - please help....

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2003, 04:15 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

hi all,
was on my way to nottingham on friday, and after about 200 miles, noticed smoke comeing from engine compartment. stopped quickly to have a look, and although i could not pin-point exactly where the smoke was coming from, i noticed one of the pipes on the header tank was loose (the one that goes to the turbo). the tank was the original plastic thing (my96 jap sti) so i thought here is my problem!
anyway, got new (alloy)header tank on monday, fitted it and topped up water, then let the car idle for about 30 mins. everything fine.
so i set off to drive home to fife and got about 8 miles before noticing the smoke coming out again! exactly the same as before!
called dealer where i got the car today and he says that it will just be the escaped coolant from the original leak and the removal of the header tank, and that it will burn itself off. this seems likely, as the car is not overheating.
any advice anyone?
give the engine a good clean and try again?
if the car is not overheating and the fluid lvels are all ok, sould it be ok to drive it?

any help greatly appreciated, as i will have to try to get the car back up here over the weekend!

cheers in advance, dodge...........
Old 21 May 2003, 08:09 PM
whiteknight
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

i had two radiators go on me, the only way i could identify the leak was to rev the engine to build up preasure, then i had a water feature charlie dimmock would be proud of!!!!!

Rob
Old 21 May 2003, 08:19 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Could be an air lock which impreza's are notorious for...

Dan
Old 21 May 2003, 08:25 PM
whiteknight
Scooby Regular

Question

you think a airlock could be responsible for the radiator?

Rob
Old 21 May 2003, 08:49 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

He didnt even mention the rad once in his post... but he did mention the header tank, which i have replaced on my car too.

Problem is when you start messing with the coolant/changing header tanks e.t.c air locks can be created in the cooling system and it can cause the pressure to build up beyond the rating of the cap and either the hoses can leak or the coolant can over flow to much.

Make sure the hose from the turbo is on correct as from memory its only one of those clip type things and not a jubilee clip.

Dan
Old 21 May 2003, 08:58 PM
whiteknight
Scooby Regular

i was sugesting a way of spoting the leak,which on my car was from the rad, the same technique could be used to spot a leak on the header tank
Old 21 May 2003, 09:54 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

thanks guys - will try your leak testing method when i get back down whitenight, and i will also check for air in the system. i dont think im losing much coolant, so i dont think its too much of a leak.

cheers again, dodge.....
Old 22 May 2003, 01:50 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Spilled coolant will burn of in the first five minutes of having the engine started... I think you've got a leak somewhere else mate.

It is definitely steam though? If its smoke, then the leak is probably oil. Have a look around the base of the rocker covers for any oil. After about 30mins of driving this would be dripping onto the heat shields above the exhaust manifolds, which should be toasty enough by then....
Old 22 May 2003, 07:20 PM
dodge138
Scooby Regular

Question

thanks m8, may well be. hard to tell if its smoke or steam as i have switched off the engine pretty quick after seeing it. i DO really have to get it to someone who knows about these things to have a look i think - maybe i'll try to drive it to the dealer where i got it from.
anyone have any advice on whether or not i should drive it?
is it ok as long as its not overheating ??

ta, dodge..........