Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2003, 03:41 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi guys

Please can anyone help, i'm having intermittent starting problems with my Evo 4

I bought it and it ran great for a couple of weeks. Then one day after i had used the intercoller spray, i went to start the car and nothing. The lights came on on the dashboard but when i went to start it everything cut, no turn over no lights. I left it and went back the next day and it started fine. Though all electrics had been reset, CD player lost all memory and had spat CD out.

Then it happend i drove into town left the car 15mins came back to start it and the same happend, only this time the alarm kept going off as well. After about 15 mins of messing around and looking under the bonnet i then slammed the bonnet shut and the alarm suddenly stopped, i got in and started the car.

Then when i was driving into town a couple of days later in rush hour the car tried to die on me the engine light flicked on and off, then i stopped got out the car and couldnt start it again, i left it went shoppping came back and it started.

I spoke to mitsubishi who said it is common for the earths to get dirty, so the cleaned them all up and eveything was fine for a couple of weeks. It then happend again briefly at the garage after filing up, when to start it and eveything cut, got out the car, tried the alarm, which then bleeped got back in and all ok.

Again all ok for a couple of weeks. Then on thursday i got in the car to leave work, all the lights ok, went to start and everything cut, only this time it didnt resolve its self, so i called the aa, who played with the alarm but couldnt find anything. Then he checked the battery and it was flat, (even though nothing left on), he jump started it and it started ok and he checked and it was charging no problem, anyway drove home and the stereo kept cutting in and out. Got home, let the turbo timer run, tried to start again and nothing, couldnt get it to turn over. Thinking the battery is completely knackered i leave it, i went to it the next day and guess what the alarm suddenly works and i can start it again. Not feeling to happy i got the other half to take me to work, played with it when i got back it started ok, but a couple of times when i stopped it the turbo timer didnt cut in.

Ok i thought, i went to start it the on Saturday and nothing, though we could hear some relays wurring, when i tried to turn it over nothing happend, so i left it

guess what, went to play with it today and the car turns over now and starts!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions, it doesnt seem to be the battery and seems totally intermittent, but at the moment i'm not feeling happy about driving the car. Does any one have any suggestions, they would be gratefully accepted, the car has a turbo timer and Cat back exhaust only.

Old 18 May 2003, 11:46 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Something is draining your battery. Could be the alarm or either the battery is almost knackered and you need a new one, or your battery poles and connectors are loose or need cleaning, or your alternator may sometimes not be charging.

If the alternator is faulty and not charging the battery the battery should drain. Sometimes, with batteries that don't charge up from a faulty alternator, they can still crank and start the engine when they cool down. Sometimes they have some life in them and can start a car when they've cooled off but can't when they're hot. I had this problem on a Ford V8 back in OZ and it was a faulty alternator that cused the above.

Firstly, check the battery connectors/poles for looseness or contamination. Maybe the connection from the alternator is loose or the earth itself is loose. I'm suggesting this cos you say that when you slammed the bonnet closed the car was able to start. This could indicate something is loose.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 5/18/2003 11:55:11 PM]
Old 19 May 2003, 01:38 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mate i will have a look later if the rain eases off!!
Old 19 May 2003, 10:17 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Mate, if you want a hand give me a shout!!
Another pair of eyes is never a bad thing
Old 19 May 2003, 10:30 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sounds like the battery is on its way out. Get the battery load tested. Doesn't sound like the AA could do a test on it as it was flat by then.

If your dash has a light with a battery symbol on, then this should show when the alternator is not charging. As the light is wired in such a way to the alternator using it as a ground, normally.

H
Old 19 May 2003, 10:41 PM
ST AYE
Scooby Regular

If you are unsure of what you are doing, ask a compentent person to carryout the following check

Test voltage across battery with engine running should be ca 14.5v
If ca 14.5v alternator OK.
Take car for run, 15 miles should do it. Disconnect battery, leave overnight test battery voltage (disconnected). Should be not less than 12.6 volts if less than 12 volts, throw away.