Notices

New 2 Forum and Scooby - advice on mods needed

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2003, 09:46 AM
conrad
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All,

Much to my delight I have recently purchased a UK '96 Impreza Turbo . The car was totally standard when I bought it and in need of a few mods. I have de-cat'd the exhaust with a new down pipe and centre piece and this has given a slight increase in power.

In all honesty I don't know a lot about these cars or what the best line of approach is when it comes to modding it. After skinting myself out buying the car I don't have a lot of money to spare so I could do with some fairly cheap tips to improve the cars power.

My first instinct is to up the boost. As I say I'm not that mechanically minded and could do with some help on this. First off, how do I do it?? Will I need a bleed/relief valve and boost gauge and is it expensive/hard to do?

Also, what boost do they run as standard and what's a safe PSI to up it to?

Any advice from you guys is appreciated so please make any suggestions as to what mods I should make priority. Bare in mind I haven't a lot of money to throw at the car but I would like it to be a bit faster (dare I say it but it's not as fast as I thought)

Hope you can help

Thanks - Conrad
Old 16 May 2003, 10:27 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome
Not many tips for you I'm affraid, but one is to run on optimax for a couple of tank fulls, reset the ECU and then only ever use optimax.
Makes for nice smooth acceleration and better running.
Old 16 May 2003, 10:37 AM
conrad
Scooby Newbie

Question

Cheers mate - will do.

Might sound daft but how do I reset the ECU ?

Do I remove a fuse for a few seconds and then replace it?? That's how I used to do it on my Celica GT4.

Also, after looking on net I have read that you can get a manual boost controller and and boost gauge to up the boost. Is this Ok to do and where can I get such parts??

Plus, what are the best Scooby sites for me to look at?? I can't seem to find many (UK ones anyway)
Old 16 May 2003, 11:11 AM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

My UK scoob felt slow to me well slower than my cossie when i bought it. I reckon its because the powers to smooth you dont realise the speeds your doing. I no its deffintkley not slow as i managed a 4.8 to 60 at a magazine shoot out day with it. With only filter back box and centre section.
Old 16 May 2003, 11:23 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hello

You say you have de-catted the exhaust and mention the downpipe and centre section, have you got the standard backbox still in place? If so swap it, if for nothing but the sound alone.

A cheap way to start would be with a replacement panel filter - K&N or ITG.

I drive a MY00 and can now say the modifications I have got the most pleasure and s from have been those that have improved handling. Decent geometry settings and the bumpsteer mod's alone made a huge difference. After these Eibachs, rear anti-roll bar, solid drop links etc.

Use the search function for info on any of the above.

I would recommend ensuring you have 4 pot brakes at least before upping the power. Standard stoppers aren't up to much.

Good luck.
Old 16 May 2003, 11:40 AM
conrad
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Cheers mate - advice appreciated

Not sure of the make but there was already a performance back-box on the car when I bought it. I have just de-cat'd the rest of the exhaust since.

I forgot to mention that I have bought a panel filter as well - fitted it last week-end.

Just a couple of questions,

How do I reset the ECU, is it a fuse??

Also, how do I turn up the boost or is this not wise? My last car was Celica GT4 and for less than £100 I bought a releif valve and boost gauge and upped the boost - this made a huge difference to the car. Is something similar not possible on the Scooby?
Old 16 May 2003, 11:43 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Use the search function for all the info on ECU reset and for turning the boost up try - Dawes.
Old 16 May 2003, 11:43 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

To reset the ECU just disconnect the battery for an hour

If you want a boost guage - lurk around the for sale section for a couple of days and one will pop its head up b4 long
Old 16 May 2003, 12:17 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

ECU Reset instructions

To up the boost, you can use a mechanical boost controller like a Dawes device, though you need a boost gauge minimum to keep an eye on it.
There are a couple of Dawes in the For sale forum at the momment.

As for sites, do you mean tuning company websites?
Have a look in the Scoobyshop, there are plenty of companies advertising in there. Link's at the top of the page

Oh, and welcome to Scoobynet!!!

Iain.
Old 16 May 2003, 12:19 PM
conrad
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks Iain - will do.

Will check out the dawes devices as well

Thanks for your help
Old 16 May 2003, 12:33 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Conrad

Welcome

As mentioned above if you want bang for bucks modest power increase the best option is a Dawes Device (mechanical boost controller) plus boost gauge. I think you may find that because of the model year of your car, you won't be able to increase the boost much (I think fuel cut is around 1 bar on your car), but the Dawes significantly improves spoolup and allows boost to be held into the higher rev range where the ECU gradually reduces boost as standard. A disadvantage of the Dawes is that you lose the ECUs ability to cut boost if something goes wrong, for example if you get sustained det.

If you had £300 pounds to spend you could easily get the boost gauge, Dawes MBC and a knocklink. With this lot installed, all you'd need would be a fuel cut defender and some octane booster to then run higher than 1 bar boost. I think ScoobyECU also do a chip upgrade for your model, which is pretty competitively priced.

A word of caution however, doing these sort of things will increase the risk of premature engine failure particularly if things like det aren't monitored for.

Try www.j-w-racing.com for Dawes stuff (MBC and FCD) and David Wallis at www.scoobyecu.co.uk.

Cheers

Simon