Notices

Legacy GT-B 95RON unleaded?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2003, 10:31 AM
richrussell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I should have been able to find this out from somewhere, but I need a quickish answer - as I might be buying one this afternoon!

Easy question, will a Legacy GT-B twin turbo (import obviously) run on 95RON unleaded fuel? Not bothered about a drop in power, as I'm moving up from a Pulsar GTI-R with less anyway. Costing me too much in Optimax, and need something bigger...

Do I need to adjust the ignition timing, or will the ECU adjust it's maps on it's own?

Rich
Old 09 May 2003, 01:02 PM
B4 Boy (at work!)
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

As I understand the car has to be re-mapped to run on 95 safely. I may be wrong. AJbasebloke might be able to answer more acurately.
Old 09 May 2003, 05:41 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Other UK TT owners will be more help than I, IMHO. But personally, running a TT on anything but the best fuel you can find would be asking for trouble if you want to use the thick end of the power band.

On UK fuel, I'd say a well tuned knocklink would be a pre requisite, but each to his own. Running on lower grade fuel would also kill performance, and fuel usage would likely be considerably worse, perhaps bad enough to negate the majority of the cost per litre "saving," esp. once the potential for other issues is taken into account.

As we all know, the cars are fairly robust, but long term use of lower grade fuel could be a killer unless you really plan on nannying the car IMHO. An NA may be a better bet, esp. if you can find one with the Bilstein suspension (the 2.5 with AVCS is not bad at all).

HTH

PS join the Legacy B4 group on Yahoo, there are owners in Oz and the UK (and elsewhere) who have lived with lower grade fuels who may be able to help more.
Old 09 May 2003, 06:27 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it!

There not designed to run on it.

The ecu will sense the change, and still be det free.
I've never heard mine det on 95, but it runs crap, lumpy and sluggish.

I also get better mpg when running SUL, better still with optimax.

It's worth spending the extra on fuel, for piece of mind

Mark
Old 10 May 2003, 06:58 PM
richrussell
Scooby Regular

Well, I've bought it now (and it's so much nicer to drive than the GTI-R - I never thought I'd say that!)...

I'm happy to run it on Super/Optimax (like I did the GTI-R for 3 years), but wonder if retarding the igntion timing a little will allow me to run the cheaper unleaded for long cruising journeys (eg 200 miles or more on the motorway). Really not bothered if the power drops 20bhp or so - it's more driveable due to the twin-turbo setup than my GTI-R anyway.

Thanks for the input though, I've got to relearn a totally different car's mechanics now...

Rich.
Old 12 May 2003, 01:39 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh - sorry I missed that last post...

Congratulations on the purchase!!

The "support group" on yahoo awaits

Cheers