Notices

DIY cambelt change.

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2003, 07:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Thinking of doing this myself, as the nearest Scoob dealer is 40 miles, and I wouldn't trust anyone round here. (Unless Dan Horwich knows better?):
How easy is it to do? Is there a way of locking the pulleys etc to stop 'em moving while you change the belt? Can anyone point me at a link for this, as I tried search but couldn't find owt?
Thanks,
Alcazar
Old 09 May 2003, 08:47 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alcazar,

I got mine done at R.Nicholson motors on crowle..

I took it there because he has worked on impreza's before, my dad knows a bloke at his work (symes baines soliciters) who had and impreza and its engine blew up, richard at crowle bulit his engine back using new parts..!!

He also did my cam belt when i had by bump, he also spotted who ever had previously done it i.e a place in doncaster had not fitted it right and it was one tooth out..!! I now have a smooth engine back that doesnt rock from side to side..!

He also did the cambelt on a friend of mines car (MY95 WRX)..

I can get his number if you want it..!

He got a belt for me, i think it was about £70, i know you can get them cheaper but didnt know what make the others where.. I think he said this one was made by 'gates' or something.

Dan
Old 09 May 2003, 10:10 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

Wink

Got a belt for £40, with all the timing lines on. So Im doing it myself All you do is line up the dotted line to the arrow on the crank then line the 2 single lines at either end to the marks on the cam verniers, and hey presto. Or at least thats the theory, but if u do it youself. The left hand side off the engine has sprung cams so you will need to clamp them gently with mole grips etc.

Hope this helps
Ronnie
Old 09 May 2003, 11:42 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

http://www.jimclarkeracing.co.uk/~sc...y97/Engine.pdf

The first few pages deal with the cambelt & alignment.

I'm doing mine tomorrow, when I've made a tool to hold the crank pulley still.

I'm going to wedge the cams on the LHS with 2 specially made wooden wedges, as I'm told these can be a PITA.

If it's your first cambelt, then take your time, and you'll be OK. Probably best to take the radiator out, as that will give you much more room.
Old 10 May 2003, 11:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All good advice you got there-the Gates belts are as good as a Subaru one I have been told, but I would not risk fitting a cheapo one-too much at stake!

Les
Old 10 May 2003, 11:49 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm about to tackle my cambelt as well. I bought one of those CD Subaru manuals from Ebay to help but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Be interested to get any feedback from your cambelt changes. Piccies would be good of the locking tools/wedges.

Where are you buying the belt from?

Kevin.
Old 10 May 2003, 07:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I got quoted £73.74 for a Gates one from a local motor factor, and was surprised to learn they had one in stock.
Alcazar
Old 10 May 2003, 08:58 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I am sure Crossroads garage are doing the cam belts for around £50 and they are original Subaru ones as well.They also do cheap tyres if you had not heard.try them on 01730 233700.
Old 11 May 2003, 02:41 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

I fitted a cam belt today, The guy i fitted the belt for got it from Midland Impreza.
IIRC he paid £42 inc delivery.

Rob
Old 11 May 2003, 08:30 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Easiest job in the world in my oppinion. Its not like fords etc.

Make sure crank pulley is in right place

Just take covers off, release tensioner. Looking at front off Engine all 4 cam pulleys hve arrows on them .So line top pulley arrow up with bottom arrow.

ie Top pullet arrow should point to 6 oclock.

ie Bottom pulley arrow should be at 12 oclock.

Do this to both sides.

When u put new belt on Turn Top pulley on left back one tooth.

And turn bottom pulley on left back one tooth to allow for when tensioner is realised it will take slack up in belt and arrows should b inline.. Turn engine over with a spanner to check arrows come back into line. DO not start untill you have checked this

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES START ENGINE IF ARROWS ARE NOT IN LINE

Hope that helps
Old 11 May 2003, 11:23 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Be careful with Crossroad garage. They have supplied me with the wrong belt. I'm a little annoyed about the whole thing, as I won't have time in the week to change the belt. - Work wouldn't be impressed with me doing it in my lunch hour in their car park!

Luckily I check these things before I do too much dismantling...

It looks to be an easy job compared to the cambelts I've done in the past (Ford and Rover) There's plenty of room to get at things.

If you decide that removing the rad fans is a good idea for more access then put some cardboard over it to stop getting the rad smashed.
Old 11 May 2003, 06:37 PM
robs
Scooby Regular

Are you talking about Crossroad or CrossroadS garage? Crossroad (in Liss in Hampshire) just did my cambelt, and did a good job. Knowlegeable and good service. Cost £229 fitted with tensioner(Subaru parts).
Old 12 May 2003, 11:34 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Crossroad garage in Hampshire. I'm sure it's a misunderstanding, and that they've sent me someone else's order...

(There's probably a Honda owner out there saying "What am I supposed to do with this? Put it round twice?!?" )

They knew what they were talking about on the phone.
Old 12 May 2003, 02:00 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Crossroad have said that they will sort it out, so assuming the belt arrives on Tuesday/Wednesday it'll be OK.