Notices

Can a car pass MOT without downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2003, 05:02 PM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am keen on fitting a Tek 2 to my MY00 UK Turbo and would like to replace the turbo downpipe before I do this.
If this is removed and replaced by a catless pipe will I still pass the emissions test or does it have to be replaced for MOT testing?
Old 05 May 2003, 05:19 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Wink

i have a full decat

when i go for MOT i replace the centre with the OEM one

Passes fine

chris
Old 05 May 2003, 06:19 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

also depends on who's doing the mot test
Old 06 May 2003, 12:19 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

Strictly speaking the car should not pass the MoT test, because even though it is possible to achieve HC and CO levels which conform to the limits imposed, this is not possible while running a lambda of 1.00, so the car will pass emissions but fail the cat test.

One possible solution is to fit a twin-cat centre section, which will pass and can be swapped out in minutes. The thing that really irriatates me considerably is that if a car can pass HC and CO emissions then why the hell should it need to pass the cat test as well... ie if its emissions are in tolerance, should it matter how that was achieved, surely the fact that it was achieved should be sufficient!

Perhaps it has escaped the attention of the powers that be that a cat MUST operate at a lambda of 1.0, but that you get better fuel economy at 1.05 ? So let's get this straight... in order to pass your emissions test, you have to make the engine less economical and hence increase your emissions per mile.... go figure.

I for one will not run any honeycomb type of catalytic convertor on my cars. Firstly I get better fuel economy without them, and secondly I'm not polluting the environment with heavy metals which have far more serious consequences than a little bit of carbon monoxide! The only type of convertor I'de even think about fitting is an athermal plasma converter but then only if mandated by Law (my cars aren't required to run a cat, fortunately).

Unfortunately, the simpler a message is the easier it is to get across... so in trying to convince us all, the actual truth has been mothballed and the politically correct diatribe is being hammered home... another wonderful example is "Speed Kills"... great motto, shame it's rubbish, but the correct version "Inappropriate use of speed can result in death" doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it? I'll get me coat....

Cheers,

Pat.