Notices

Help - MASSIVE Overboost

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2003, 12:02 PM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 93wrx which has got a de-cat, uprated fuel pump, PE phase 1 chip with a V4 Intercooler, normally running about 0.9-1.0 Bar boost at constand with slight overboost to 1.1/1.2 bar before it settles.

Had it RR'd at PE with this set up, reporting 280, leans out a little at top end but no probs according to Merv.

Now heres the problem, running the car last night, I am now getting massive overboost, bascially it seems that the Fuel Cut has now dissapeared and the boost was going off the scale ?1.5 bar and then it was hitting what seemed to be a fuel cut (more likely to think the Turbo running out of puff.

Obviously a bit shocked when this happened, but didnt see anything come up on the Knocklink ??? definately no yellow or red lights anyway.

Was driving it back manually trying to run the boost at the old settings (throttle control !!!) and the lamdalink was running as it always does, showing green on this level of boost, and again no report from the KnockLink.

Any ideas as this has just come out of the blue so has me a bit stumped.

Cheers
Rich

Old 27 April 2003, 01:00 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

That sounds like fuel cut... (it's dependant on amount of boost & time but no-one seems entirely sure what combination last I heard but the higher the boost, the quicker the cut...)
There's no real reason that you should see knock - if it's been mapped well, these 'accidents' should be accounted for, probably by lobbing in loads of fuel & minimal advance...
Anyhoo. If it were me, I'd keep an eye on it & only worry about it if it happens again. Fuel cut seems to be doing its job, which is a safety net, & the knocklink (it definately works, yes?) helping too with the weight of your foot!
Old 27 April 2003, 06:57 PM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nom, but the fuel cut was set at 16.5 psi by PE when it was mapped, the thing is this isn't a one off, but is now constantly happening, like there is no fuel cut at all.

Last time i test the knock link it was definately working, (screwdriver tapped on the bolt), so really not sure whats happening

R.
Old 27 April 2003, 07:58 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Fuel cut isn't 'set' as such at one point with the JECS, it's more like a general area, I believe . So it easily scoot beyond 16.5psi & still be working ok.
Anyway, happeneing all the time isn't good all tubes & stuff connected, I presume?
I have heard of the PE Phase 1 boards being 'dry soldered' - just wondering if this could be happening? It's a wild stab in the dark, though...
Old 28 April 2003, 08:54 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Question

I had something similar to this, and found that the small pipe going to the actuator had a small split in it, almost invisible. Replaced pipe, no further problem. Hope this helps.
Old 28 April 2003, 09:48 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

I'd check the hoses that are connected to the turbo, wg solenoid and the actuator.

/J
Old 28 April 2003, 10:44 AM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice chaps, checked all the hoses again, and the one from the solenoid to the turbo nipple had come apart, replaced that and all seems to be running fine now

Panic over

Rich