Notices

Why do I have to steer slightly to the right to go straight

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2003, 06:01 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

MY01. Paid for a full geometry check (approx £70- much cheaper than I expected) but the problem, as per title, still existed. I told my Dealer, but waited until 30k service to get it looked at again as I live about 1 hour from Dealer.

They checked it again & said it was out by a fraction, & had been corrected (no charge). However, I dont think it is any better.

What do you think the problem is? Could it be that the discrepancy is too small for Dealer's equipment to detect fully- I cant believe this is an option as I am noticeably steering to the right. Could it be the steering wheel simply isn't on straight!? Front tyres have worn on the outside edges, looks about equal both sides- but I do rotate front-back wheels fairly regularly (Toyos 215/45/17)

I intend to go back to the Dealer with this as I have already paid for the geometery check, but would very much like to hear some opinions.

Bex
Old 10 April 2003, 09:48 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

if you're driving on a straight road and let go of the wheel, does car pull to one side or other? if it does, tracking / geometry wants looking at , i.e. back to dealers (has the tire worn away after the dealer had it? in which case they've set it up wrongly and it needs sorting

if it goes straight on when you let go, poss that tracking has been adjusted but they've not re-centred the steering wheel (prolly adjusted tracking on one side only which pulls steering off-centre) - needs to go back if you can't live with it looking wonky prolly not a good idea trying to recentre wheel yourself due to airbag on wheel might take a dislike to being played with...

HTH

Apple
Old 10 April 2003, 09:52 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

remember most roads have a camber to the left so you may have to turn to the right on 'some' roads....

Dan
Old 10 April 2003, 09:59 PM
UK300No75
Scooby Newbie

Agree with Dan. Just had the tracking and steering geomtry set by TSL Motorsport last month and the car tends to go left on cambered roads, not excessive but noticeable all the same.
Brian
Old 10 April 2003, 10:06 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

rethink #1 - if both fronts have worn the outside edge away, has the toe-in been set too great on the wheels? i.e. wheels trying to be too much / \ rather than | | (or less / \ than they are)?
Old 10 April 2003, 11:31 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

yep. It should always run to the left.
Don't forget we live in the rainy country. The rain on the roads needs to be taken into consideration when building. It need to disperse fast to the gutters, hence the camber.
Old 11 April 2003, 08:36 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions.

Apple- no it doesn't pull, it just seems like the steering wheel is off-centre: if I hold the steering wheel at its hub so that I can feel it is dead straight with the dash, then I start heading to the left.

I am certain that it has nothing to do with cambers, I have got so paranoid that I try the above 'test' everywhere, and even very slowly in car parks it is noticeable.

To give you a rough idea: if I was holding the wheel at a 'quarter to three' position, it would look more like 12 minutes to 3. Noticeable- but not extreme, but I would like it to be right.

Thanks again.

Bex
Old 12 April 2003, 11:33 AM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Bex - One major influence as well as those things people have stated above is tyre pressures....have you checked that all are correct ? Also are tyres the same on left and right hand side of car ? These things may cause it to pull one side if they're not right.

If you are on the flattest motorway you can find and let go and it goes straight...then tyres/tracking etc. are fine. But if the wheel is 'turned' to acheive this then it's just been assembled wrong. You should be able to take it to the dealers and get them to put it straight. All they have to do is undo the wheelnut and rotate the wheel a few notches/splines then redo it tight.

Cheers
Alex