Notices

rpm signal?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2003, 08:14 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read through just about all the manuals/diagrams I can get my hands on & still can't find where I can get the rpm signal from the ECU... (my00) - I've read that there is one (5v digital - exactly what I'm after - also that it can be got at more easily under the dash - all very nice but there's at least 100 cables to pick from down there...), but the actual location/point doesn't seem to be noted anywhere. Or, at least, not using language such as 'rpm signal' .
Anyone know? It's getting annoying!
Ta
Old 05 April 2003, 08:34 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

If you look on the back the dials on the dash there is a screw terminal marked RPM. (At least there was on my car, which is a bit older than on yours...)

This should be the RPM signal that is fed to the tahco display.

I wonder, are you fitting a head up display?
Old 05 April 2003, 10:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trace it from the Link ECU manual wiring diagram.
Old 05 April 2003, 10:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Trace it from the Link ECU manual wiring diagram.
Old 05 April 2003, 10:52 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Hmm, the Link manual was my first 'port of call', but aside from a collection of objects loosly referred to as 'speedometer and tachometer circuit', I can't find any direct reference to rpm signal... the screw terminal on the back of the dash looks more hopeful to me
However. I think I might have another plan of attack Depending on someone else's elecontronics knowledge , as all I'm trying to do is log wideband data with the other usual odds & ends so the log can be made use of... seeming I don't use lambda (nor does the ECU) for anything except for watching the pretty lights - and monitoring, I suppose - I just need to know if the Link gets upset with a possible 5v input when it's expecting, as far as I know, a 1v signal tops; and if it doesn't like the high voltage, how to reliably & accurately divide a 5v signal to a 1v one (I said my electronics knowledge was laughable, didn't I? ). This same thing was asked ages ago on the MRT forum but no-one seemed to know... or bothered to answer. Must be a common thing to want to do, I'd have thought?
Anyhoo. There we go.

Hope the holiday was good, John
Old 06 April 2003, 10:49 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Get awa you just need to dig a bit in the wiring diagram - all the colours and plug numbers/pins/male/female are there. Trace them back and you'll work out which one is the RPM signal.

Use an op amp with gain 0.2 to get you 0-1V signal. Best do this rather than assume the ECU won't mind 5V. Make sure your op amp will deal accurately with signals near 0V (offset).
Old 06 April 2003, 10:57 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Yea, right, op-amps. I know what to do with those...
0.2v would be about as low as it got anyway - any less than that & that's richer than 10:1 anyway
I've started another topic anyway - that would actually be on topic - to see if anyone else has any ideas!
And will return to the wiring diagram in the mean time