Notices

Been done a Thousand times. Legacy Tappets

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2003, 05:32 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I saw a post on here Months back about a guy trying ATF in engine to cure Legacy tappets. Ive searched through posts but carnt find it. Im wondering if he cured it or not. As i dont know whether to change to Mobil 1 15/50 in the hope of solving problem as it only does it for first 5 mins but its doing my bxxxxy head in . Currently using Magntec .

HELPPPPP please someone
Old 29 March 2003, 09:23 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

The person who tried the ATF also had some oil leak problems shortly afterwards. Not sure if they are related to adding the ATF or not though.
Its not something Ive ever heard anyone recommend, so would be very cautious about adding anything like that to engine oil.
Changing to a good oil such as Mobil or Motul may help, but its no guarantee it will.
Only ways to fix properly, are to replace all the lifters ( though Ive heard that stripping the heads, and thoroughly cleaning all teh oilways may fix it too ) if you can locate the noisy lifters, then perhaps you will get away with replacing just them.
Either that, or a head swap with imprea heads, which have a much better design of hydraulic lifter. If going for Impreza heads, the pistons should be changed too, as it will raise the compressio ration slightly. It wont really be an issue on an otherwise std ar though, and heads alone would do.
Its a bit of a bummer really. It can sometimes be best to put up with the noise, if it isnt causing any running problems, as it will cost a few quid to sort.
Old 30 March 2003, 01:47 PM
turbo bob
Scooby Regular

check the oil pressure, low oil pressure could cause this, im assuming they have been replaced or cleaned out?
Old 30 March 2003, 09:00 PM
Brian Lacey
Scooby Regular

I used Wynn's Hydraulic Valvelifter Additive at every oil change and it made a big difference over a period of time. Was recommended by my local main dealer!

Brian
Old 31 March 2003, 07:25 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Where can you get Wynn's Hydraulic Valvelifter Additive from?

Tim
Old 31 March 2003, 08:17 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Exclamation

It twas I that tried the atf after a reputable engine supplier replied to the "noisey Legacy tappets" question I asked.

I ran the car with 1 ltre in the oil but as Ustolemy.. Stevie has said, I encountered problems during the running period with the crank shaft oil seal being pushed forward and subsequently out of its housing resulting in a big oily mess.

The problems could have completely coincidental but I just couldnt be sure. This is why I have not posted back with "its a miracle, they're cured!"

They have quietened down but other factors like another oil change with Wynnes added and warmer weather have also come into play.

My findings (inc advice given) are.

If they are as noisey as hell try adding the wynns stuff and persevere with it for as long as you can.

Turn up the stereo or fit a louder exhaust. You have to try to listen to other parts of the car

The only real cures are replacement heads, either Legacy or the best bet - Impreza ones.
Or
Replace the complete engine with an Impreza one.Well costly option.

Change your oil more frequently and add the wynns tappet additive at every change is the cheapest option worth trying though.

15/50 oil is in mine and has been for the last three changes (2000 mile intervals)and 1 @ 150 miles with the atf /oliseal problem.

The only thing I wished I used my common sense on was engine speed and load. I was told to drive as normal with the atf in. My idea of normal may not be what the engine guy had in mind

Good luck mate.

I hear ya (literally!)

STE.W.