Notices

Why do the center dif. not prevent this

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2003, 01:10 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During winter time I practice some doo nuts ( I'm not sure how to spell) you know like doing Merry-go-around and continue to spin around in nice 360 turns. Great fun and easy when the ground is covered by snow.
The front wheel is pointing nearly straigt forward after the spin has started and the inner front wheel is nearly standing still. The rear wheel is spinning. Why do the center dif not heat up and move power to the front.
Or is the power moved to the outher front wheel, I was not able to check but maybe it is spinning.
How much power can the center dif move, can it go to 0 pct front and 100 pct rear ?
Lars
Old 25 March 2003, 01:52 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lars

If your car is a WRX ot GT turbo then your front diff is the open sort, ie. it has no form of lock to prevent all of the motion going to one wheel. So, it is possible (likely even) that all of the power was being spun out of the other front wheel.

The center diff will lock the front to rear solid if necessary, but presumably you were spining both back wheels and one front so had very little traction on the slippery surface.

Duncan
Old 25 March 2003, 02:50 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes my car is a MY99 Turbo with open front diff. i assume you are right outher front wheel is spinning

Lars