Notices

Code 45 - Huh ??

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2003, 07:44 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right guys I'm confused. I have a MY93 WRX with a unichip mapped to a manual boost controller (very similar to a Dawes). Anyway car felt very good since being correctly mapped (14 days ago) but I had noticed for about the last 10 days the car has felt a bit lathargic and appeared to have developed a slight miss at about 1500 rpm. So I decided to clean all the air pipes - take apart and clean the BOV etc etc. I fitted new sparkies, fuel filter checked my coilpacks (which are only 3 months old) and everything looked fine. So filled up on SUL added a fair amount of OB and before resetting the ECU checked the cel history. Low and behold there was a code 45 residing in the memory which I understand is the pressure sensor, pressure exchange solenoid ?? So I reset the ECU and took the car for a drive at varying speeds. Well what can I say the car pulled like a train when blasting it after about 30 miles on the clock. However I have been varying my driving style to allow the ECU to relearn values and having now clocked 140 miles the car is starting to feel wrong again. Seems to be suffering with hesitation. I have searched thru previous threads but can't really find any decent explanations as to my problem. I have checked the ECU codes again tonight and no cel this time but the car feels like it did before. I would welcome any advice as I'm getting a bit fed up with having a car that feels punchy for all of 2 days Where is the pressure sensor - is this something I can check/clean or is it a replacement job ?

Thanks in advance
Old 24 March 2003, 08:44 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try here

I have a 93 wrx as well and suffered with a similar problem. I also had code 45. Look on the drivers side suspension turret. There is a brown device with an electrical connector on top and two black rubber hoses coming out of each end. This is the device you are looking for. Under the dash are two green connectors which you need to connect together and turn the ignition on (but don't start the car). This sets the fans on and activates the solenoid. Spray brake cleaner down the pipes, and into the solenoid. Put everything back together and go for a drive. This cleared my code 45.

I had also fitted a boost gauge and noticed I only had 0.5 bar boost when I was told it should be 0.7/0.8. Cleaning the solenoid got me up to 0.6 but still not full boost. I did a few searches and decided to check the hoseson the intercooler and found the plastic one to the turbo had cracked so I replaced them both with samco ones. My boost gauge now shows 0.7 steady, 0.82 peak and I'm a lot happier now.

Do a few more searches as there are a few pics out there somewhere.

[Edited by Charlie H - 3/24/2003 8:46:23 PM]