Notices

Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2003, 10:36 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What benefits are likely to be seen on a stock MY02 UK WRX if run using octane booster? Is it worth doing?

And is there any difference in different brands of octane booster?
Old 22 March 2003, 02:38 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Get Merlin to do his own dirty-work

Anyway here's a quote from my reply on that thread:

Although it wont give much of a performance boost, using octane booster can reduce the onset of Detonation, and severe detting can kill an engine in seconds, especially turbcharged engines. As stated, you only really need it on import scoobys, which are mapped for 100ron fuel, though you can get away with 98ron (Optimax). It's worth putting some in a UK car if going on the track, the standard (and only just adequate) top mount intercooler on Scoobs heatsoak quite quickly, especially on the track. And high charge temp means at best loss in power, at worst severe Detonation and a wrecked engine.
I'm sure somebody will tell me that is a load of cr@p now...

[Edited by DreXeL - 3/22/2003 2:40:58 PM]
Old 22 March 2003, 06:40 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Having just blown my jap import wrx engine using optimax, i decided that on getting another engine, i would only run it on optimax and octane booster. I know we are talking slightly different cars (jap - uk) but i tried this stuff called Nitrox Hot Shot.

I couldnt believe the extra performance that i got from adding this to optimax. The throttle response is much sharper with a clear power increase. Supposidly, at the same time, it cleans the fuel system. Ok maybe mine has been clogged up - who knows. Supposidly, also lubricates the working parts of your engine. This stuff is quite expensive compared to other octane boosters but seing as my car is going to be more of a dry day car/weekend car, i'm going to use it regularly.

I'm going to try others for example STP power booster. It increases octane rating, stops knocking and picking, restores lost horsepower, cleans fuel intake system and stops engine run - on (allegidly).

As far as i'm concerned, these additives help protect the engine and if they provide increases in power then great. I really dont think you can go wrong by putting into your UK car. I'm no expert so please dont just take my word for it.