Notices

Charge Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 08:28 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have looked at several modified Legacy Turbos now, who have all gone for a FMIC. As this is expensive, labour intensive and makes the car look obviouly modified, I was wondering what I could do with my Charge cooler instead.

Air / Air cooling is supposedly less efficient that Air / Water anyways, so I was thinking along the lines of a bigger charge-collant radiator in the front (though the existing one doesn't seem to get more than slightly warm) and a higher flowing pump.

Where is the coolant pump (I can't find it? Am I going mad? Is it hidden in all the plastic on the bottom of the charge cooler, and if it is, what makes it spin?)

Has anyone else tried this mod? Is it worth it, or am I better off with the weight saving of a FMIC?
Old 06 March 2003, 08:49 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

This might help http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~gavinp/airwater.htm
Old 07 March 2003, 12:09 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Steve, now mate. Can't help on a techy level but the pump is under the pass. side front wheel arch. It's tucked up under the liner out of harms way.

I was also thinking along the same lines as you but also found that temps dont seem to be an issue on my Legacy T either.

Maybe we're not Banzai enough with our cars!

Ste.

Old 07 March 2003, 07:09 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Or maybe it's just time for more boost!

Thanks for the pump location......sounds like a bit of a pain to get at, actually. The chargecooler stays soooo cold I am guessing the pump is actually up to the job (apparently it is a twin speed pump, too?) and that as I increase the boost I'll just need a larger radiator. And maybe a resevoir. All interesting stuff!