Notices

rain-ex

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2003, 01:01 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

thinkin of tryin some on my rear screen - gettin fed up with no rear wipe and not bein able to see. only experience of it is years ago - mate put it on his windscreen and it left a kinda blurry scarm when the wipers went across makin it nigh on impossible to see out.

anyone use it ? good or bad experiences please....
Old 13 February 2003, 01:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Riftzone

Heard mixed stories which has put me off trying it

One guy ended up eventually breaking his windscreen to enable him to get it replaced as he just couldn't budge the smears

One other mate swears by it though but he says that when you put it on you have to make sure the windscreen is ultra clean.

Sure it should be alright on the rear though as it sure is a pain without the rear wipe
Old 13 February 2003, 01:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have used this stuff on all my cars and never had a smear. It works perfectly and I put it on all the glass including the headlights. Once its been applied I do not even need wipers at speeds above 50mph irrespective of how heavy the rain is. Great stuff
Old 13 February 2003, 01:14 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Mixed feelings on it - you do need to get the windscreen very clean first, and make sure you follow the application instructions very carefully. If you do that, it's great with proper rain at speeds of 40ish and above - no need for wipers. BUT with spray or light rain, and/or slowish speeds you still need your wipers and this is when you get smearing. You also need to ensure that you re-apply regularly (every 2 weeks or so depending on how much you need to use your wipers) for best effect.
It's well worth using it on lights/side/rear windows as you don't have the wiper problem to contend with.
Old 13 February 2003, 01:32 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Works very well when first applied.

But makes wipers judder.

And you can not get the glass *spotlessly* clean with it applied.
Old 13 February 2003, 01:37 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Used it on the rear screen of my UK94. Very impressed on the back. Not quite so impressed with it on the windscreen thou. Only cos its not all that good at low speed in spray.
Old 13 February 2003, 01:49 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have herd various threads where use on front wiper related screens can b more smeary. But on the rear screen question i did ask this of SIDC when i 1st got car, b4 i found scoobynet, & they basically recommended this over windscreen wiper OK so this was partly kuz it costs around 1k to fit 1 but generally good i bort sum cheaper stuff from halfords as rain x unavailable at time & used the glass cleaner stuff b4 applying & it is pretty good although must confess i dont do it OTT since it is quite a bit of work & hey i cant use rear view mirror with me big subs booming away anyhow lol. But i do still miss the b'day thing (rear wash wipe ) so may have 2 get import type R in 8 months or so
Si

Trending Topics

Old 13 February 2003, 03:18 PM
jhd
Scooby Regular

Smile

wouldnt use it on front screen coz of smearing due wipers.
ok on rear without wipers or side mirrors.

jhd
Old 13 February 2003, 07:22 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Never had any smearing, rain or no rain, unless the wipers are past it.
Not sure if I've ever even cleaned the screen really well, but maybe I just clean it well without thinking about it...
Seems to last around 2 months total, although tails off a little after one month & so that's when I re-apply.
I actually find it quite unnerving now driving a car in the rain that doesn't have rain-x (or similar) on it as it's very much harder to see anything. But then I must have been using it for 10 years so must have got used to it now
Old 13 February 2003, 10:13 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

The only draw back is in very light rain or mist when you get the smearing. Seems to occuur when there is not enough water to really bead up and form the droplets that run off. Similarly if you have just had a wipe with the windcreen wipers there is momentarily a smeary second or two before the traces of water left are covered with fresh rain and bead up into droplets.If you've done a recent application then you don't need to use the wipers at all in normal or heavy rain. Not so effective on the back window until you are properly on the move because most of the air flow over the car shoots off the top of the roof and not down the back window to pull the water droplets off.

I use it regularly (actually Halfords own brand stuff! not Rain-ex) and I don't really think about it much until I get into someone else's car and there is a horrible film of water smeared over all their glass and I wonder how they see out - especially the side windows.

Disagree about the juddering - that is down to duff wiper blades I reckon or other contamination stuck on the glass.

[Edited by Boost II - 2/13/2003 10:16:58 PM]