Notices

Decat noise too much, solution?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 07:03 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a complete decat system fitted to my MY99 UK Turbo and to be honest the power is incredible and it sounds absolutely awesome, problem is that I use the car to drive to work and I have a feeling that its going to annoy me pretty quickly, the noise is just too much for everyday driving.

I've got the old scoobysport back box which I bought second hand, the new one is supposed to be quieter but will it solve my problem?

Basically I want to keep the decat stuff, so can I change the back box to quieten it down (any brand just want to loose the noise), and still keep the performance?

I'm thinking of an ECUTEK 2 or something next, I'm assuming that wont increase the noise by much?

It just feels that my smooth, quiet standard, unobtrusive impreza just got turned into a rally car, I reckon the neighbours are gonna go mad and the looks I get from 17 year old girls is bloody annoying, kinda not the image I want, I lost that image when I sold my RS Turbo!
Old 07 February 2003, 09:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resonate the centre section. Get a Magnex backbox they tend to be quiet. PPP is the quietest of all, but a little restrictive.
Old 07 February 2003, 09:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

John was refering to changing the centre to a resonated one..

The Magnex ones are about £110 and you could probably sell the centre section you have already got.

It just had a bubble in it that resonates the sound around it and reduced the noise out the back.

In car noise can be reduced by wrapping the downpipe in exhaust wrap. But you will have to take it off again to do that.

But on another note.. don't be such a wimp!! it is breed from a rally car and should souind like one

JGM

Old 07 February 2003, 09:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Also fit sound deadening to the boot.
Old 07 February 2003, 11:54 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Never been entirely impressed with the effects of the 'resonated centre'. Makes a bit of a difference, but barely noticeable. I think I've seen it measured once & it's a little over a decibel, which is a difference, but I reckon you need about 6 resonators in a row to do the job

I'd change the backbox. The old Scoobysport BB resonates to bu66ery. Sounds fabulous, unless pottering. Which, sadly, seems to happen a lot. Then it just drones, drones, drones & headaches aren't far away (all this is IMHO, naturally but I'm sort of sensitive about all these noises...)

The 'old' TSL backbox seems a good compromise. Doesn't drone half as much; performance is very similar, and good & splattery under boost. Different sound - I think the bit of the old ScoobySport that sounds so good is the same bit that makes the droning sound, so you can't have one without the other... Don't know about the new ScoobySport, though!

For relative silence, go for a Remus, but after a brief spell of relief, you may find it boring!
Old 08 February 2003, 05:53 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

thanks for the input, JGM, i'm not a wimp, I just use my car lots!
Old 08 February 2003, 09:43 AM
ze1220
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem, I fixed it by using the BB from scorpion.

You get all the right sounds only at an acceptable level.

Regards,
Dave
Old 08 February 2003, 09:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

thanks for the input, JGM, i'm not a wimp, I just use my car lots!
I was joking mate!

Mine has only just lost the cats and I do about 800miles a week..

Full scoobysport (old version before Janspeed if that makes a difference).

Took the wife and daughter out in it for the first time today and not a moan about the noise at all.. which was suprizingly good!

I can see how it might get annoying and I agree the pottering noise is not wonderful.. but the sound and power on boost makes it all worth it.

Mines a wagon too which I think is suppose to be louder inside as the boot is open to the passengers etc..

JGM
Old 09 February 2003, 08:58 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

gonna do some sound proofing, a worth while investment anyway, regardless of the exhaust (still, doesnt quieten it down for the neighbours tho ) Who does that kinda thing?
Old 09 February 2003, 10:12 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Poke about in the ICE forum to find lots on sound proofing. There's lots of types; I've used Dynamat Extreme in the past (some complain it's expensive - which it is, I suppose - by it's the only one I've found which isn't very heavy). Then there's a NoiseKiller kit which looks expesive but it actually pretty good value.
Old 02 July 2003, 09:43 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the Magnex backbox. When I was in the back of The_Gza's car (Magnex 6x4) I had a headache for the rest of the evening It was pretty quiet, but I couldn't bare the pounding in my head.

I've a TSL de-cat DP and de-cat centre with an STI backbox. The backbox is restrictive, but it keeps the system very quiet. No drowning noise on the motorway either, which is very important for me.

Only way is to restrict it some or fit something with a resonator to tone down the noise.

OR fit sound deadening

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 2/7/2003 10:10:00 PM]