Notices

steering wheel swop?!?1

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2003, 12:31 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

have tried without a reply in interior forum so thought i would try here.(please leave it here mods).has anyone previously swapped from a normal early spec airbag wheel to the later momo airbag wheel????is it a straight forward one for one??would appreciate any help do not want to start the job and get stuck..........?!??!the car in quetion is a my97 uk the wheel is from a my98...
Old 06 February 2003, 12:44 PM
c13tay
Scooby Regular

Info also required - 98 momo onto 96 car
Old 06 February 2003, 02:29 PM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I tried to do this only to discover that the later steering wheels use a slip ring type of connection where as the older ones use a rolling cable type of affair so they don't even come close to fitting. I've just found somewhere that does the boss for the earlier impreza's am hoping to fit it this weekend will let you know if it works.

Ade
Old 06 February 2003, 02:53 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Question

let me know mate...appreciate your help ..do you think it would fit if you had the matching steering column or is that just creating more work in repect of switches ..steering lock ??it must be possible to do ,have seen them on cars before!!!
Old 06 February 2003, 05:02 PM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It may be possible, I have a friend who works at Prodrive got me a later spec Momo steering wheel popped mine off to fit it and quite frankly it was not going to go on without some serious modification. I don't know what year the steering wheel was of (momo one with red stiching) so maybe there is a year that fits??

Ade
Old 06 February 2003, 06:48 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Well I've just done it on mine, took about 20 mins (plus the time to allow the airbag system to lose any stored charge, say 30 mins) and was very easy in my case!

Remove the two T30 screws from the sides of the steering wheel to release the airbag, disconnect the bag and remove it. Then disconnect the horn connector. Make sure the wheel is perfectly straight and loosen the bolt (16mm IIRC). Leave the bolt on the last few threads and pull the wheel to release it, then completely remove the bolt and take the wheel off.

Fit the new wheel onto the splines, making sure it's straight as well and that the connectors from the clock spring pass through the same space as they did on the old wheel. Bolt it back on, ideally with a new washer or some thread lock, and torque it up. Reconnect the horn connector, then connect the airbag connector and line it up with the torx screws. Finally screw the bag back on with the screws in the side of the wheel and you're done!

That's my experience, but if the splines don't match you're gubbed and if you have a different airbag connector you're going to have problems. Not sure if the Momo wheel fits with the old style dash either but I don't see why not cos the overall shape is very similar to the older wheel.