Notices

Moving the Adjustable centre diff control switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 02:51 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hum. I thought about mounting a rotary (traditional anti/clockwise rotating rather than forward back type) **** near the wheel to do this, similar to the ones they use in the Peugeot WRC cars... this would also give another visual cue to diff position. I wouldn't bother trying anything on the wheel, as A) it has safety issues if you were to accidentally touch it whilst dealing with an oversteer moment (not good) and B) It's technically tricky to reliably run switching signals from anything on the steering wheel to anything not on it.
Old 04 February 2003, 08:29 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of a couple of small resessed buttons, I think paddles under the steering wheel would be a bit OTT!! But a couple of small buttons would be good. Hopefully there will be a bit more input on this, such as the way the rotary switch works, and what could be used to replace it?
Old 04 February 2003, 09:34 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Stop being so selfish guys. Mount it somewhere so the passenger can play with it, also if you have things like brake bias etc.. move them to. Saves installing a playstation and adds that element of surprise to driving

On a serious note I'm sure you could mount it on the gear stick as with a quick shift there is not much movement so no stress on any connections and you will probably be thinking about changing gear when you need to alter the centre diff so less danger. Plus if you get it wrong then your hands already down there for quick downshifts and application of the handbrake

DaveW.
Old 05 February 2003, 05:52 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

You can't use two buttons guys as it's a potentiometer with infinite adjustment (well you could but you'd have to make up your own circuit to convert button presses into small resistance changes IYSWIM).

Like Moray said, you'd need to either move the current dial or replace it with another type of pot (but of the correct resistance obviously).

Is it really worth the effort? Personally, I like it where it is...

Matt
Old 05 February 2003, 11:42 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 06 February 2003, 06:51 PM
scoobystan
Scooby Regular

Question

i have a type r, not had it long- i know how to adjust it, but when should i use it. SOMETIMES IF I MOVE IT BEFORE I HAVE MOVED FROM A STANDING STILL POSITION AND GO TO MOVE OFF IT SORT OF DOESNT SOUND GOOD, IT CREAKS!!! HELP PLEASE
Old 06 February 2003, 09:39 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this thread, this may help uou out
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/reply.asp?threadid=173932
Old 09 February 2003, 09:28 AM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

That link pics up the reply box, any chance of posting the right one, just bought a R.
Old 09 February 2003, 10:28 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I wonder if this thread was the link being posted? This explains how to use the Centre Diff and because it is an analogue control, would be difficult to replace by two buttons....(well, it doesn't explain that but once you realise how it works, you realise that am "up" and "down" button system would be a bit of work...)

Ta,

Matt
Old 09 February 2003, 06:41 PM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

Good job somebody knows what they are doing!!! That was the one, well done Matt!
Old 02 April 2003, 12:30 AM
scoobdoo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have a V5 type R, it has the control for the adjustable diff down on the centre consul, it is a real pain in the *** to use when you are concentrating on the road and want to adjust it in a hurry. Has anyone thought about changing the rotary switch to a up/down (tiptronic) style one that could be moulded into the thumb grips on the sterring wheel? It cant be that difficult? Can it!!

[Edited by scoobdoo - 2/4/2003 1:30:38 AM]