Notices

LPG systems update, finally

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2003, 11:14 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on my LPG Legacy, but I've finally got news, not all good I'm afraid

For those that don't know, I've got a 2002-spec Legacy 2.5GX running the basic (single vaporiser acting like a carburettor) system. This is the well-proven, but not most economical, version of the system and is the standard install package.

I've now done 20,000 miles in it and the car just went bang!!! I tried to start it, it backfired, and wouldn't idle after that. Not ideal at junctions!

After Subaru replaced the ECU, plugs and leads, they said it "ran better, but still couldn't idle." On talking with the LPG guy, he suggested they adjust the valve clearances and, if that didn't do it, the likelihood was that I'd damaged the gas regulator!

So, Subaru adjusted the valves. £185 later, the car runs sweet as a nut - better than it's ever done in my opinion! The inlet valves had to be adjusted by about 4thou and the exhaust valves were tight up against the rockers and had to be majorly adjusted.

Apparently, because LPG burns hotter and faster (so isn't quite as powerful) it goes through valve seats much faster than petrol. So, my car (which has now done approx 30,000 miles) was nearly f**ked! Subaru check the valve clearances every 60,000 miles but almost never have to actually adjust them. So, for mine to be as bad as they were is terrifying!

That said, the Legacy uses pushrod-operated valves, whereas the Impreza has hydraulic valves, but even so, not what you need to hear! Couple this with Subaru now advising me to get the clearances checked every 12,000 mile service (at a cost of about £130 a throw) I'm not exactly chuffed!

Don't get me wrong, this isn't me saying don't play the LPG game - it saves you a packet if you're doing the miles. But, there are things which have to be monitored, and you really do need to have the gas system checked and re-set up every year.

Just a warning!