Notices

Hesitation and probs with rev's

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 11:34 AM
POSHBIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a wrx on a 02 plate, it has a problem when changing gear!. Lancaster Pangbourne thought it may be the ECU, so they fitted a new one, but the prob is still there. This is the easiest way for me to explain!.

When you change gear (mainly 2nd-3rd), the rev's are very noise (bit like an elderly person with a hearing prob!!!) and the rev's go up and stay there for a second or two and then come back down, causing a hesitation.

Lancaster dont have any idea what the problem is, so much so, they think it maybe normal. So we have arranged to take another WRX out on saturday to see.

Any suggestions please.

Many thanks.
Old 24 January 2003, 06:43 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Check if your MAF is still connected, if it is, perhaps try another one.
Old 24 January 2003, 10:02 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There isnt any leaks or pipes off on the induction side, Does it still have the standard dumpvalve or an aftermarket one ?

Dean
Old 24 January 2003, 10:53 AM
POSHBIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry to sound a bit of a woman here, couold you please tell me what MAF stands for, Ta very much!!!!.
Old 24 January 2003, 11:28 AM
POSHBIRD
Scooby Regular

Smile

It has the standard dump-valve on it so I have been told!

Old 24 January 2003, 11:49 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Don't worry about sounding like a woman, if you are one that is, As many blokes do regularly.
The MAF sensor is the air flow meter (black in colour, with a sqaure top) which is conected directly behind your Airbox or Air filter Has an electrical conector block that plugs into it & 3 inch ish tube going towards the turbo from it.
Dean
Old 24 January 2003, 12:43 PM
POSHBIRD
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks Dean, and yes I am a woman, well i was last time i looked anyhow!!!!!!
Old 24 January 2003, 01:47 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Talking

You never can tell these days !. Your car sounds like its Hunting (revs rise & fall without toching the accelerator) Which can be caused by an induction leak. (air entering the engine behind the air flow meter) & therefore not being accounted for by the Ecu (its brain, A hose could be loose or a faulty dump valve Etc.
Where in the UK are you ? Email me off here if you wish & good luck.

Dean
Old 24 January 2003, 06:22 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

I have an 02 WRX which does exactly the same, I don't like it either - makes it sound like you can't change gear properly!!!

Mine is also very hesitant around the 3k - 4k revs mark and is low on power mid range.

Anyone else got noisey brakes??

Sparshatts told me to do some miles to run it in and see how it goes!! Well 4k on the clock and she's booked in for the 4th Feb so I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 25 January 2003, 09:05 AM
POSHBIRD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

mmm, i know what you mean Stu!!!! Well Lancaster's have said they are gonna get a guy from Subaru Technical to come down and look at ours, we have had a re-mapped 2003 ecu fitted on ours, no change only makes it drive better but still has the noisy rev's,
they are actually trying to say that maybe thats how all wrx's sound, i dont think so! so we are gonna take one of their other wrx's out today (sat) and see!!!, i'll let you know what occurs.
Old 25 January 2003, 09:34 AM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

Yeah that would be interesting, I want to take Sparshatts Demo out again but they are not keen (Wonder Why?? )

Is the midrange toruqe better with the remapped ECU?

When you say the revs are noisey, do you mean that the increase momentarily when you dip the clutch to change gear??

Keep in touch

Stu...
Old 25 January 2003, 02:39 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

popped into Sparshatts today and took the demo car out - deffo better than mine.

How did you get on Posh??

Stu...
Old 25 January 2003, 05:41 PM
POSHBIRD
Scooby Regular

Stu,

Yeh, when you change gear is when the rev's are noisy. We went to Lancaster's and took out another MY02 wrx in a funny red colour (sorry i hope yours aint that colour!!!). The strange thing is, it drove exactly the same!!!!. We stood shouting at the Sales Manager, (we gave up with the service guys, total waste of space) and we asked him to take ours out, which he did and then we took their demo car out, I have to say that the rev noise was exactly the same. The main time I notice is when you r changing from 2nd -3rd and he said the rev's stay high to make sure you dont loose any power (not explaining myself very well am I!! sorry)
We are now having a PPP (prodrive perforance pack - just in case you didn;t know!!) put onto the car and he said that that rev noise would go away due to diff gear ratio. We were thinking about one anyhow so its not just coz of this noise.
He said stop trying to look and listen for it!!, hard not too i say!!!. What a plonker eh!.