Magnatec in a slapper?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2003, 12:44 PM
PaulHop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone and everyone......

I think my 98 has a little slap when cold, has anyone tried to queiten this down using magnatec? What were the results?

Cheers,

Paul
MY98 Red
Old 17 January 2003, 04:03 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

I wouldnt bother trying this. Piston slap is more to do with internal clearances... as soon as the engine gets some temperature into the pistons and rings, they tend to expand enough to close up the gaps and quieten down.
Old 19 January 2003, 10:32 PM
Ian 20
Scooby Newbie

I wouldn't worry either, my 98MY Turbo ran for 105000 miles on BP visco 5000 fully synthetic oil (original servicing dealer oil); I bought the car at 108000 miles and for the first mile or two the engine sounds as if the hydraulic lifters (tappets) are filling with oil but the mechanic at my very good local dealer explained that it is not the lifters but the pistons getting up to temperature and provided the noise goes away after a few minutes don't worry.

The last service was done with 10W40 semi-synthetic magnatec (current dealer oil) with no change in noise/duration, and I did a between service oil and filter change with 5W40 Morris oil and again no change, noisy for a mile or two - how many miles has your car done?? If within warranty I would be worried, but on a higher mileage car I am not too bothered.

Note that I agree with the normal threads that the best oil to use is Motul/Mobil 15W50 etc but as I do a lot of short journeys from cold (not good I know) I stick to thinner 5W40.
Old 20 January 2003, 03:00 PM
PaulHop
Scooby Regular

Talking

Peeps,

Cheers for the replies. Current mileage is around 93K (still in extended Subaru warranty tho)

The 'slapping' goes after less than a mile or so, guess not to worry about it then!

Thanx again,

PaulHop

MY98 Red
Old 20 January 2003, 09:30 PM
Ian 20
Scooby Newbie

Mmmmmmm, still under warranty, maybe worth getting the dealer to check it out at no cost to you, at worst they say it's no problem, at best you get a new bottom engine. Maybe do a search for 'piston slap' and see what other members have experienced.

Ian