Notices

Slight knocking

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 11:58 AM
jrichardson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi anyone to advise please, Ive just fitted a bleed valve to a MY98 Wagon Turbo. The only other mods are dump valve (Bailey) and air filter(pipercross). On tickover or very low revs ever since fitting the valve I geta very slight knocking/ticking which disapears below 1500revs and above say 1800 revs, (FROM engine). Its just started. The turbo also is far noisier with a real rasp, which wasnt there before unless I put octane booster in a tankful. It now doesit every time I put my foot in, (increased accelerating drastically). I was advised by a bit of a modding guru that it may be the turbo strugling to get rid of exhaust gas(Standard pipe) or for once in its life it is running on full boost.Which is why it may be making this rasp.Anyway it now goes like stink which is nice. I dont want to risk damage though I would rather it was slower and reliable as its done 85k. I know Im a plank Ive just bought the toy and Im obsessed allready just want it running right.
Old 14 January 2003, 01:30 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Do you still have a fuel cut and what boost are you running it at?

Richard
Old 14 January 2003, 01:43 PM
jrichardson
Scooby Newbie

Fuel cut? Sorry not that I am aware of. If I adjust the Bleedvalve too much the engine cuts out so I presume yes. Its turned right down at the moment so no cut outs, it still is quicker even fully turned down. I was advised to get a boost guage but told not totally neccessary as the ecu cuts out if overboost occurs so Im affraid I dont know wot boost its running. As u can tell my mechanical knowledge is C**p I really appreciate ur advise m8. Any ideas on the slight knocking/tapping?
Old 14 January 2003, 03:01 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I'd get someone familar with Scoobs to have a listen, it could be many things ranging from terminal to a rattling heatshield Scoobysport is close, drop in and see them.

Richard
Old 14 January 2003, 03:22 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Your turbo make a lot more noise because of the new filter. You are hitting fuel cut and this is dangerous. The turbo is producing to much boost and can be a problem if you keep hitting the fuel cut.

Definatly get a boost guage then you can set the bleed valve up accuratly so you dont hit fuel cut.

The ticking/knocking is most likely your boost solenoid and if so there is no need to worry unless it gets extremely loud and the engine warning light comes on.

The exhaust is very restrictive especially if youve pumped up boost. To get power you increase air into the engine, and at the same time fuel. But then you have to be able to get rid of the gases as quick as there been put in.

Your probably getting boost spike from the turbo under load. This is bad!!

You need a good free flowing air system on the car if you increase boost, then you need to know that enough fuel is getting in. Then you need to know if your getting knock. All the above are done by gauges. Air/fuel ratio meter for fuel. Knock link for detecting knock. All are quite important if your putting up boost.

Hope this helps.
Old 14 January 2003, 04:49 PM
jrichardson
Scooby Newbie

It all helps I do appreciate ur advise guys thanks, im off to Rally Tech at weekend