Notices

turbo surging

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 09:03 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help my scoobs boost is going bonkers on accelerating the boost surges to maybe 1.7bar then goes to .9bar then back to 1.5ish bar and so on

i have cleaned out is it called the boost solenoid as i have gathered that can get oil in it and i have replaced several tubes also tried different restrictors and all no good

i have now takern out the restrictor to give safe boost .9bar

if any one has any ideas before it goes into the garage that would be great
Old 14 January 2003, 12:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leak in the pneumatic feed to the wastegate?

Dodgy wastegate actuator ? sticky

If this has been coming up over time might explain why your car made very high boost on your Tek 2 and went so well, and then why the ECU I sent was so disappointing and overboosting....

[Edited by john banks - 1/14/2003 12:23:18 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 03:45 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i will look into this john and you may well be right

the way all this happened is did a track day on the 29th dec. the car went really well had a gagget connected to the plug in where the select monitor goes and it told me i had peek boost of 1.26 bar with no knock correction

and then ahh! the gearbox seized had it relayed to a subaru dealers (osbornes in colchester)where they had a second hand gearbox and a new clutch fitted for me and gave me an excellant service drove out of the dealers and the problem happened

put in the old speed sensor still the same

so dont know if maybe it is becouse the car had been sitting there for two weeks

[Edited by X SOOOBY - 1/14/2003 4:04:05 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 04:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Notably the select monitor protocol used by the select monitor and the consumer version of Delta Dash saturates/clips at 18.4 PSI which happens to be 1.27 bar. I wonder if your car was overboosting more than this? This is way too high anyway for a Tek 2 which has a boost aim of 1.10 bar or 16.0 PSI.

Boost control is unstable if it goes +1.7 PSI over held in my experience, because the standard, PPP and Tek 2 ECU correction for this boost error is heavy handed, leading to fluctuations. The sort of duty cycle you have on your car assuming no fault would work better with a 17.7-18 PSI boost target. But you need to find out what it is really peaking to. In addition just because there is no knock correction does not mean there is no det. The ECU can ignore some transitional det with overboost spikes such as what it sounds like you are experiencing.
Old 14 January 2003, 05:12 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

hi john your excellant experiance has paid off

i thought what could of been different from before and after having the gearbox fitted so i looked around the accuator area and low and behold the rod from the accuator too the wastegate was catching and scratching on the turbo heatsheild so pulled the heatsheild out of the way and go for testdrive and yes the car is behaving as it was before the gearbox change

so thanks john for pointing me in the right direction