Notices

How to avoid Fuel Cut ????

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 12:30 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am making several improvements to my 96 type RA but keep hearing about Fuel Cut.

What is the problem and can it be prevented ???

I'm looking at a hybrid turbo, fmic, de-cat & poss superchip.

Will i need to prevent this with these upgrades??
Old 14 January 2003, 12:37 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

It is caused by too much boost over the ECU's safety limit. If it goes over this limit for a few seconds the ECU will assume there's a fault causing the high boost and cut fuel to prevent damage.

You will almost certainly get it with a bigger turbo unless you raise or remove the fuel cut point. The superchip will do it, as will a remap or fuel cut defender.

Speak to whoever is doing the work on your car cos they will certainly know about it and will sort it for you. You'll need a remap anyway with a new turbo and FMIC.
Old 14 January 2003, 12:45 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Paul.

Thought the superchip should do this, just that a lot of people are slating the superchip and so i wasn't too sure if it was worth it. (actually put it up for sale)
Old 14 January 2003, 12:54 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Think the reason it gets slated is that it totally removes the fuel cut, and uses a bleed to increase boost without monitoring or adjusting anything else. So if you go silly with it and whack the boost up there's no protection and your engine will definitely go bang pretty quickly!

There's also the (small) risk of something actually going wrong even if you don't whack the boost up, e.g. the wastegate sticking. Doesn't happen much AFAIK but at least with a raised fuel cut rather than removed you're still protected.
Old 14 January 2003, 07:19 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I think you'll need some way of at least altering fuelling, preferably timing too (to get the best from the new hardware).

Fuel cut is there because the ecu figures there's too much air flowing for the standard ecu maps to cope with. While it's OK to fool it with a manual boost controller and FCD (DIY for less than 50 quid - same as a Superchip...but cheaper...that's why it gets slated ) on Euro cars as long as you don't go silly, you need to be careful with your import who's fuel/ignition maps are programmed assuming 100ron fuel.

I'd suggest either a ScoobyECU remap, or a link. If you do proceed as is, buy a knock and lambdalink and install *before* you start.

Richard
Old 15 January 2003, 10:07 PM
motomc1
Scooby Regular

im running hks fvd works very well 95pounds