Notices

FMIC - Fitting problems - need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2002, 10:14 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Have got a problem - need help from someone in the know!!
Have got a year 2000 uk scooby turbo, and have just bought a new Blitz FMIC for it. All went on no probs, except - tubing down through right driver's side inner wing. After threading tubing through hole and down inner wing to the FMIC, it doesn't quite join up! I can't get the tubing far enough forward to allow it to reach the FMIC - am about 2cm or so short. Currently, only solution appears to be cutting a little more out of the right inner wing - and extending the existing hole, or abandoning totally (not happy). Does anyone know if I've screwed up, or do you have to cut the inner wing / engine bay to make it fit??? If so, is that small missing piece of metal going to affect bodywork / chassis rigidity???
Sadly i know this may be a difficult question, 'cause apparently not many (if any) of the new Blitz FMICs have been sold in the UK.
Cheers
Dxx
Old 12 December 2002, 10:42 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Having heard the number of problems with FMIC, and having slight niggles when fitting mine, all i would say is check the instructions again (if there are any). You may have used the wrong connecting hose somewhere along the lines.

I dont know about the blitz, but i had to be careful when fitting my APS FMIC on my uk 2000 wagon.

Check it through again, if you still have a problem, ring the supplier and ask them where you have gone wrong. If you have.

Best i can help at the moment, sorry;(
Old 12 December 2002, 11:01 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Have already tried supplier (well, revolution have for me) - they have had to try e-mailing Japan to get an answer - that was over a week ago - still no joy. Mechanics at revolution have been over fitting instructions with a fine tooth comb for me, but no answers there! Was hoping someone out there might have one??? - and possibly have had same problem? ...
Dxx
Old 12 December 2002, 11:13 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Assuming there'e a piece of silicone hose joining the intercooler pipework to the intercooler, can you not just get another silicone hose to bridge the gap?

Alan
Old 12 December 2002, 11:20 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

IIRC on your year car, there are two possible holes in the drivers' inner wing?

Assume you've tried to fit the pipe to come through the front hole nearest the headlamp...

Alan
Old 12 December 2002, 11:21 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not Hosing at all. It's all made from custom made mandrel (spelt wrong?) bent intercooler pipework! Pieces ready formed and just clip together - IN THEORY!!!! Absolutely wicked design and it all fits together perfectly, looks awsome, .... apart from the driver inner wing section not quite bending back in enough to reach right side of FMIC. Inner wing (well edge of hole in inner wing) in in the way. AARRRRGGGHHHH!! Revolution suggested making up the gap with Samco hose... but were not keen... shouldn't have to, as it should fit.
Dxx
Old 12 December 2002, 11:24 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep, have tried both holes, but no joy. Pipework reaches the same level as the FMIC (front to back), but beacuse have to use the back hole to fit rest of pipework, the final piece of pipe sits about 2cm away from the FMIC (towards the outside of the car).
Old 12 December 2002, 11:25 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Have you got any pics? It'll help to see exactly what the problem is.

Tony.
Old 12 December 2002, 11:33 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

I know Revolution took a digital photo of kit on the car ... almost.
Will try and post it tomorrow if i can get hold of it. Might be tricky - haven't done pictures before!!
Dxx
Old 12 December 2002, 11:40 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Ok... if your having problems you could e-mail the pic to me and i'll post it here.

Tony.

P.s if the pic is over 1mb the e-mail in my profile won't work... try anthony.tonkin@austin.co.uk instead.
Old 13 December 2002, 09:03 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

__________________________________________________ ______________

Yep, have tried both holes, but no joy
__________________________________________________ ______________

Did she not mind lol

[Edited by iain atkins - 12/13/2002 9:04:28 AM]
Old 14 December 2002, 10:16 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Bit difficult to be sure without pictures of problem, but sounds like the pipe wasn't bent correctly and needs another tweak to line up with intercooler outlet?

Alan
Old 14 December 2002, 06:56 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Arrow

No luck on getting hold of photo, but am still waiting for revolution to hear from Blitz in Japan. Hopefully will be sorted soon.
Dxx
Old 19 December 2002, 10:58 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Smile

Have now got pitures of fitting problem!! Will try and paste them, if no luck, gonna e-mail them to guy who offered - please put them up for me. Now problem fully obvious - Do i make up the gap with Samco?? or cut the inner wing to make it fit??
Dxx

Old 20 December 2002, 08:15 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Here are the piccies:

I've got to say that i really like the look of this intercooler..... did you say you got it from Revolution? How much are they? Also any chance of e-mailing me pics of the pipework layout in the engine bay?

It does look like it would easily be made to fit with some longer Samco hose..... but i agree with you that you really shouldn't have to do that.

Tony.

Old 20 December 2002, 09:44 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I would rather have them get the pipe bent downwards a bit more, where it meets the intercooler, so it is at least level with the intercooler, and then use a longer piece of samco hosing.

I think i would firts ask them to get a replacement part, or try one from another blitz kit, as it could be a one off error or a design flaw.

I would certainly not cut the inner wing if it were my car.
Old 20 December 2002, 10:28 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Paul, i don't think the pipe needs bending.... it's just that it has 'fallen' into this position because nothing is supporting it. If a longer piece of samco was used im sure it would line up properly.

Are there any longer bits of the silcon hose anywhere that they have used in the wrong place... i.e replace the longer piece with the short bit and use the longer bit on the intercooler????

Tony.
Old 20 December 2002, 04:09 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Are you sure it's not meant to go through the front hole?

Need more pics but looks like the pipe at the bulkhead end is sitting too high, plus there doesn't seem to be much room for an air filter if you are still intending to use the MAF housing?

Alan
Old 20 December 2002, 04:10 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

What supports have you got for the pipe as well cause i think it's gonna rattle about a bit against the inner wing..

Alan
Old 20 December 2002, 04:12 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Plus if it was in the front hole, you could maybe turn the pipe round more to line up better with the intercooler?

Alan
Old 20 December 2002, 10:48 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for posting the pics Tony!
Haven't tried with pipe on in reverse, don't know if it might work? I know what your saying - i'm not that keen to cut the inner wing either. Was thinking it might connect with a longer piece of Samco hose, but even then it's still not quite in line. Not sure why. Don't think it works with using the front hole - Revolution already tried that. I get the feeling that the pipework might rattle against the car as well. Possibly wont with some padding / lagging? Don't think the pipework is anchored in any way.
Just held in at either end and at front. Am preying that i can get this sorted though, 'cause it looks soooo sweet against the silver car
Anyone any other idea's - would be more than welcome. Only other question - if worst comes to worst, and do have to remove that small strip of inner wing between holes, anybody know if it will effect car rigidity / chassis strength?
Dxx
Old 21 December 2002, 08:30 AM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

looks like the pipe has been bent wrong persevere and get a replacement to see if this is a one off fault or design flaw..dont forget to ask for compensation for hassle