Notices

Possible symptoms of a Faulty Coil Pack

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2002, 10:15 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had an annoying problem with MY93 WRX for a few months now and I believe i may have found the culprit. At the weekend i changed my plugs, oil and coolant temperature sensor. Anyway during this time I obviously had to remove the coil packs and hey presto 3 of them were in mint condition but one had a large chunk of rubber missing and was split almost down to the point of the boot. Anyway performed an ECU reset at the same time and have drive approximately 130 miles. Car has been fine and has been pulling like a train.....until tonight. Having had a bit of snow fall in the area where I live the roads have suddenly become wet during the night and whilst driving the Scoob home the car at times felt like it was firing on 3 rather than 4. The car drives fine until I use the loud pedal and she no longer takes off. I guess I probably already know the answer but am I correct in thinking that a badly split boot on the coil pack could allow damp in thus causing problems ? Has anyone else had this problem ? Would really like some advice before deciding what to do about replacement coil packs etc ?

Thanks in advance
Old 10 December 2002, 10:47 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

moretypically the split rubber will allow the coil pack to earth to the block, causing an annoying and expensive misfire. you can try replacing just the offending coil pack, but the rest will probably give up before long.

i have just had to bite the bullet on my 96 STi ~ it made the world of difference to the car though.

also watch you don't have too much oil in it as this can cause a similar sensation.

hope this helsp,
simon
Old 11 December 2002, 11:23 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Yep,

I had the exact same problem on a 96 UK. Changed all 4 coil packs and it was fine.

Cheers
Rich
Old 11 December 2002, 01:49 PM
Big AlT
Scooby Regular

Me too, on my93 wrx. Changed 3 out of 4, and hey presto smoother and no boost problems. Make sure that they are not too tight as they are prone to twisting. I've got one good one left if you want me to send it to you to try??? This way you would know if it was the offender.....
Old 15 December 2002, 06:35 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

what about giving it some good old wd40 ??