Notices

Knocklink help|

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2002, 06:41 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Just had a wonderful afternoon in the freezing cold finding where to stick the Bosch sensor for the Knocklink and then wondering where to situate in on the dash.Wired up the +ve.-ve and the two wires to the sensor and then turned on.The instructions which have no "troublshooting" say that on ign all lights should go out,mine had the 1st bottom green stay on and when the engine was tapped with it on max sensitivity,no lights moved.Checked the earth to make sure good and have been told that i should connect both the black and the brown to the terminals provided as im using the Bosch sensor.
Any ideas on whats gone wrong or what should be altered???
Regards
Gene
Old 09 December 2002, 09:26 PM
The TunnelMeister
Scooby Regular

Gene,

bottom light stays on (dim) to show unit is working. This will glow brightly under knock conditions.

Given that the wiring is correct, it can need a 'robust' tap on the engine, very near, but not actually on, the sensor. If you hit it directly it can be damaged. Also make sure that when fitting the connector blades into the sensor plug that they are pushed all the way home or you may not make a proper connection to the sensor.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Steve.
Old 10 December 2002, 12:59 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve
At least i know it should have one light on the bottom lite up,the way the instructions came across was that they all extinguish,will chech the sensor blades tomorrow and try again,didnt know how hard a whack you had to give the area by the sensor,
Cheers Gene
Old 10 December 2002, 09:32 PM
The TunnelMeister
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep the instructions are a bit vague in that area!

To check it, with the engine running I simply held the sensor against an earthed bit of metal and tapped next to it. Only got 2 green 1 amber but thats enough to know its ok. (I did it that way in case it did'nt work after I fitted it and would have to strip everything out again )

Remember that typically it will be 5k+ revs before it lights up the greens under 'normal' conditions.

Good luck,

Steve