Notices

induction kits

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2002, 12:53 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok i have learned that an induction kit will add abou 5 - 10 bhp to a motor, but i am unsure about which to get. are they worth it? i have heard of K&N, the 57i range being available for my car while i have read that other people have a kit called Blitz. can anyone let a newbie know the difference between these and what thier bsic function is?

thanks

big sinky
Old 09 December 2002, 01:42 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

General feeling is that the K&N is the best induction kit to get: it tends to be the cheapest with the best filtration properties and nicest noise. It is a good all-rounder.

Blitz wire mesh kit is supposed to be very loud indeed, and the free-est flowing, but has a lower level of filtration than most other kits.

Pipercross also do a perfectly good kit, but it is quieter.

BE AWARE!
Fitting an induction kit to scoobies after MY99 has been linked with MAF (airflow meter) failure. This tends to be between £70 and £250 to fix depending on who fixes it (and how good they are at getting the right part).
Typically, the older cars seem to be a bit more robust, but anything after MY99 needs to be treated carefully when fitting the kit, and mounting brackets MUST be used to support the new filter.

I am quite sure people will now proceed to give you more specific advice, but that should be enough to get you started. I am not trying to scare you off fitting an induction kit: most people have no problems at all....just be aware there ARE some horror stories of £250 repair bills out there.

What MY is your car?
Old 09 December 2002, 01:55 AM
JonnyT
Scooby Regular

I've just ordered a K&N 57i for MY93 WRX for the 2 simple reasons:
1) I've had these on 3 previous cars and find them amazing, and
2) It's HALF the price of Blitz/HKS.
Not much help to you tho! Sorry! Lol
Jon
Old 09 December 2002, 02:07 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

You cant really go wrong with a K+N or Pipercross. The others are a lot more expensive, and may look better, but there will be little difference in performance if any. The Blitz ones really dont filter very well at all.
Old 09 December 2002, 01:30 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try the peformance subaru option 1 induction kit, its based on the k&n but with a bell mouthed adapter that bolts str8 onto the maf housing.No farting around fitting it. NO supports needed either, it fits very snugly into the space left by the removed standerd filter.
Ive had mine bout 4 months, sounds good, dont know whether they really give you much performance ! and as a dry filter ive had no maf probs
paul
Old 09 December 2002, 01:59 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Interesting opinions being aired about induction kits not making much difference and although it is a different car have a look at the fto owners club findings on induction kits on what is lower powered car and arguably less likely to benefit being normally aspirated, some interesting results all the same with them fluctuating from a loss of -2.5hp to an average 8.5hp gain.

FTO induction review

Does make you think the sidc should do something similar every now and then perhaps...

[Edited by ptholt - 12/9/2002 2:02:12 PM]
Old 09 December 2002, 02:07 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I went with the K+N... basically because of the price and the reputation K+N has. I certainly don't think the HKS or Blitz etc are worth over £100 more. Didn't really notice an increase in power but it seemed a little less breathless at the top end. Here's a pic of it fitted (won't be much use if you've not got a pre MY97 tho):

Tony.

Old 10 December 2002, 12:07 AM
fonzy
Scooby Regular

Look at www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/subaru_induction.htm
I've got it on an MY97 WRX, with no problems and it gives a nice roar.