Notices

Unichip - Any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2002, 01:29 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a Unichip yet to be fitted to my MY95 WRX.

Has HKS induction kit and Mongoose full decat exhaust.

Has anyone had experience with these? It came from a friends STI 4 and he was very happy with it. I just wondered whether it was worth getting it fitted and mapped or whether to sell it to part finance an alternative ECU option.

If not Unichip, then......

If Unichip, where in the south does fitting/mapping on these? I've spoken to Powerstation and wondered where else might do it.

Any help much appreciated - Ben
Old 22 November 2002, 08:35 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Might be worth having a browse on some of the Australian / USA boards. APS use unichip as part of their kits in Australia, which are fitted by Cobb in the USA, so more people over there will have experience of them. Try www.wrxforum.com, www.i-club.com, www.clubwrx.net, www.mrtrally.com.au/forums for example.

I don't know details of the unichip, but properly mapped with "normal" modifications (exhaust, breathing etc), it will give pretty similar results to most other ECUs IMHO - i.e. only as good as the map!

Don't know if that helps?
Old 22 November 2002, 10:41 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Ben,
Have run two cars with Unichips.First was an MY00 with a few mods and made about 272bhp (Still on the dyno page)
Run the car for 60,000 miles with very few problems and improved the fuel consumption by about 10%.The car was mapped at Powerstation and were always very helpfull and certainly did a very good job on the mapping.

Now run an STi7, and run this with a Unichip.Again it was fitted at Powerstation as part of the Litchfield kit and very impresive it is.

Recently have had quite a few other bits fitted inc a rather large turbo.This time though had the car mapped at PTS in Luton.
Had it mapped 3 times there as I added other bits always using the same guy (David).

Have now covered 23,000 miles and 8 track days this year and am very happy with the results.

I am no techi but it works for me.

Grant
Old 23 November 2002, 12:56 AM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Have run the Unichip on my previous MR2 Turbo and it always outperformed equivalents at dyno days and track days.

Now have one on my Version 5 Type R and the results are equally as impressive. Car has been totally transformed with not much more boost than stock.

How good or bad it is , is purely down to how good the mapping is . Like any replacement or piggyback ecu its in the hands of the mappers

Owen Developments in Oxford are the very best Unichip mappers bar none IMO. Far more experience for both road and competition use than anyone else........ Powerstation are also very good althogu I believe are trying to avoid any ECU mapping work and concentrating on suspension and race setups.......
Old 25 November 2002, 01:49 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, I've spoken to Powerstation and will book it in as an early xmas pressie to myself I think

There seems to be a fair few satisfied customers......

Cheers
Ben