Notices

Boot condensation

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2002, 08:29 PM
Mad Mav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else got a problem with condensation in the boot? It was dripping off the boot lid and the boot mat was soaked !

My car is a 99 RB5.

Cheers, Andy...
Old 13 November 2002, 09:40 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy,
You may well find that the condensation is due to the fact that there is water in the boot, the water usually finds it's way into the spare wheel well, where it will quite happily stay until you find it, it normally gets in through the seals on the light clusters, the nearside one seems to be the culprit most of the time, they are stuck in with a gooey sealer, this can be difficult to remove as Impreza's are made with tin foil, so getting the lights out can cause a small amount of damage unless you're very careful.
I used plenty of goo when I put mine back in, it doesn't leak now, another place that water can get in is through the boot lid, where the spoiler bolts on, it would seem that the seal on the spoiler is not a good one, I solved that by stickking the spoiler on with plenty of goo aswell.
I like goo, can you tell???
Ron.
Old 14 November 2002, 11:58 AM
Impret-Sir
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I can second all of that, my spare wheel well was like a little swimming pool! And the jack was knee deep in water too!
Sure enough the near side lamp unit was the culprit, TONS of black gloop in there, but it still leaked! I got it out by using a lot of silicon sealent remover, messy but effective, then used a spray can of double glazing sealent to stick it back in with. I did this about a month ago, so far its been fine!
Old 14 November 2002, 12:22 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy,

I've got a MY99 RB5 too and never had problems with condensation in the boot. Like the other lads suggest, it's probably water getting in from the light clusters.

Stefan
Old 14 November 2002, 08:54 PM
Mad Mav
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, there was water in the spare wheel well - not very much mind so I must have noticed in time before it got too full ! I will investigate the light cluster.

Cheers, Andy
Old 14 November 2002, 09:06 PM
scoobybuzz
Scooby Regular

the best sealer to use for resealing the lights back in is the black windscreen sealeryou can get at any motor factors, it stays soft and never sets hence you can always remove your lights again if needed,you will also get a much better result if you clean all the old sealer off 1st both the light and the car, good luck
Old 17 November 2002, 12:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Whilst trying and until you do fix it get underneath and remove the rubber bung under trhe spare wheel.. all the water drains out then as soon as it gets in.

JGM