Notices

Up Pipe..What Gains??

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2002, 08:22 PM
Medway1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Can anybody tell me what gains you can expect from changing the up-pipe on a MY02 WRX.

It's the only bit of the standard system i have left.
Old 11 November 2002, 09:08 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had turbo back decat until friday when I had the up-pipe changed. Not sure about the bhp increase (but I think it is about 17-20bhp) but I can report as follows :

the car gets on boost earlier. my boost gauge shows boost rising earlier and more quickly making the car more urgent. Certainly feels more powerful (not in the same way as fitting the DP though) and it seems to gain speed with less effort. The exhaust sound has changed to something slightly more metallic, especially at high revs. Not especially louder (although the wife thinks slightly noisier and easier to hear the turbo spool).

If you are nearby I'll take you out for a spin if you like. Not sure if I'd call it value for money (not like the DP and centre anyway) but I did it as I want to remap soon and wish to reap the rewards of a save increase in boost.

Hope this helps

Piers LoFi
Old 11 November 2002, 09:29 PM
eazytiger10
Scooby Newbie

Question

Sorry to ask but what is the up pipe? Is it the bit before the turbo or is that the manifold?
Old 11 November 2002, 09:31 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Angry

Was booked into scoobysport today, but all locals know what happenened to the Dartford tunnel, which prevented me getting there. Trying again next week. Am still hoping I'll have mine fitted by the next Kent meet, so can maybe demonstrate.

My feeling is that it's worth getting the headers ported at the time as you have to take them off, allegedly that's worth 5 bhp (maybe more) for not that much cash.
Old 11 November 2002, 09:56 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

easy - it's the pipe b4 the turbo, and judging from the OEM I keep tripping over in the hall it has a bloody great CAT in it, certainly can't see through it.

hades - wish I'd known about the header b4 i went to scoobysport last fri

Piers LoFi
Old 11 November 2002, 10:08 PM
Medway1
Scooby Regular

LoFi

Thanks for the feedack.

Hades

You and I seem to be doing the same mods to our cars (but i am a couple of weeks behind)

Thanks for the pictures of the heat shield, as week speak mine is being "Modified".

Have you any thoughts on electronic boost control ?

I am off to Power Engineering tomorrow for boost gauge and power run and i am going to talk to them about it.

What your spec at the moment ?
Old 12 November 2002, 12:23 AM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

Medway, if u r up at PE tomorrow, i shall be there at 2ish for a remap, if u r around, we can compare notes.

Rich

Old 12 November 2002, 12:33 AM
Medway1
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am there at 10 but will be a while so i might see you
Old 12 November 2002, 12:35 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spec at the moment - APS exhaust with sports cat, ITG filter, Samco intercooler hose.

Scoobysport up-pipe, ported headers coming - as noted above - was due to get them today, but scuppered by tunnel blockage, will now be next Thursday. As soon as I've got that on, I'll be looking for a remap (ECUTEK). I'll either go via Power Engineering or see what Bob Rawle can do now ECUTEK for MY01/02 is generally available. That should get me to ~280bhp and I'll be happy with that (at least for now!)