Notices

MY02 De-cat + Dawes - Power?

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2002, 09:01 PM
Mark_TM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyboby have details on the bhp for a MY02 full decat and Dawes MBC @ 1.1 bar?

Cheers
Old 09 November 2002, 09:31 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Full decat including up-pipe or not?

The full decat (inc up-pipe) plus ecutek remap at about that sort of boost produces ~280bhp on Power Engineering rollers as their all in package. If you have up-pipe, Dawes vs remap means I guess you'd be a bit down on that - perhaps 270 ish. If you haven't got the up-pipe, I'd guess at more like 260 ish. This is all semi-educated guess rather than gospel.

Got to admit I don't get too concerned with figures - it's how the car goes that matters.
Old 09 November 2002, 09:34 PM
Mark_TM
Scooby Regular

Yea up-pipe as well. Just wondered not really bother myself as it goes really well and sounds just like a rally car (well actually amost to loud)

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09 November 2002, 10:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dawes car will be down on power as the ECU will throw in fuel and not run as much ignition timing unless it is remapped. The Denso ECUs are more obstructive in this repect than the old JECS ECUs - the MY99/00 ECUs are particularly receptive to simple bolt ons to produce silly power.
Old 10 November 2002, 11:05 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Had my MY01 on the rollers at Well Lane recently,spec is full Scoobysport decat (inc up-pipe) and ITG panel filter but no Dawes device.It made 262bhp runnin on normal unleaded.More than I expected and mighty impressed with it too!!!

Hope this helps?

Nick
Old 11 November 2002, 04:18 PM
Mark_TM
Scooby Regular

It must be around 270bhp as the 0-60 time is just over 4 secs and the 0-100 12.5secs (STI is 13.5). I am more than happy!!!
Old 11 November 2002, 05:01 PM
'kin quick2
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mark

I have a MY02 and was wondering what your mods have done to the warranty? I have only had it 2 months and would love to change the exhaust, filter and chip. How does it drive?
Also, will it pass the MOT or will you need to change back to the cats? I know it's 3 years time but in London we have emission spot checks

cheers

Ross
Old 11 November 2002, 06:12 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mark,
Where did you time your car?? and how on earth did u get 0-100 in 12.5?????????????!!!!! In an My01 with decat and dawes???

ScoobyDoo69
Old 11 November 2002, 06:18 PM
Mark_TM
Scooby Regular

Ross,

As far as I can tell (I asked the Subaru dealer who did the work) any performance modification which improves your engine can invalidate your warranty. i.e. changing the exhaust will increase the cars bhp and therefore place more strain on the engine. But it is unlikely that changing the exhaust would cause a failure (but there always is the possibility - and the dealer/Subaru may use the fact that you have changed the exhaust to reject a claim).

For MOT purposes I think from reading on here you will need at least one cat. I am sure someone will correct me.

As for the way it drives, the difference is hard to believe. I was expecting it to be better but it has much more power that I expected. Definitely worth the money.
Old 11 November 2002, 07:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

The warranty would be effected for engine and transmission. There was, I'm told, a test case (another manufacturer) that proved they can't use mods to invalidate a claim on something not related to the mod - eg they can't in law reject an electric window motor claim on the basis you've changed your exhaust. They are however well within their rights to reject claims on engine/turbo/gearbox/clutch/differentials which are effected by the mod.

Re: emission spot checks, you can get sports cat exhausts - eg Power Engineerings bugeye 280bhp demonstrator has decat up-pipe and downpipe with a sports cat centre, plus an ecutek. These are MOT/spot check compliant (I'm told, though I've never checked). I've got an APS sports cat exhaust, which is great and has never yet caused the ECU to throw a catalyst innefficiency CEL. Whether it will still be like that once I've finally sorted the up-pipe remains to be seen.
Old 11 November 2002, 07:52 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Question

Mark_TM did you do all the exhaust in one go? I've a de-cat minus the up pipe and was wondering how much difference I would get following your route. Have you added a boost guage as well as the Dawes?
Did you get the work done at a friendly dealer in Coleraine?
Old 11 November 2002, 10:25 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

Apologies for Hijack

HADES

The APS system you have fitted, how loud compared to stock?

Differences? Where from ? (How much? if you dont mind me asking)

I have been impressed with their kit for some time...

And v. soon will take the modding plunge myself.

Any info appreciated
Old 12 November 2002, 12:44 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

Continuing hijack:

Volume compared to stock - louder, but so is every exhaust! It's quieter than most full systems. Took some sound level readings and it's very similar (slightly quieter if anything) to a friend's STi 7 with prodrive backbox and straight throught centre only.

Where from? JW racing. Check their website for prices etc, discount via scoobyshop now too.

If you want to meet up and have a listen/ride one evening, I'm near Dartford - mail me.
Old 12 November 2002, 10:09 AM
Mark_TM
Scooby Regular

bug-eyed,

I put the HKS back box, mid section and cat pipe on first. A bit of a improvment. Then I fitted the up-pipe and down pipe - big difference. Also have boost gauge and Dawes AF Meter, Forge DV arrive today (I hope).

Yes, my friendy dealer in Coleraine fitted the up/down pipe.