Notices

Take a deep breath

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2002, 10:41 PM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NNooooo no....I must have led you astray the HKS Super Metal flow is a full Grade A Gauzian Steal mesh filter, that allows maximum air flow and density to get into the engine.

You cannot buy this item for the Subaru, because they simpley do not make a fitting kit for it, you have fit the filter to an normal HKS " Mushroom" filters fitting kit and mate the two parts together, they fit perfectly and the air flow is unriveled.
RC Developments were kind enough to split a HKS "Mushroom" Kit so that i could have the mounting flange, to fit the Metal Flow filter too, you have to fabricate a small bracket or lenghten the or old one, but it all fits snug, and looks great...i will post a pic tommorow

as for the parts i dont like, its the filter in general, Acording to RC the density of the Green or Yellow Mushroom filter is way more than it need be and actualy does not give the gains or flow it should do......

hope this helps

jay

[Edited by ==WRX== - 11/10/2002 10:44:27 PM]
Old 08 November 2002, 03:56 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

After I've got my exhaust sorted (see Twin dump vs single cump thread) I'll do what most other people do and think the breathing of the engine.

Heard lots of bad things relating to MAF failure with induction kits as the cone filters change the amount of air in the engine bay and replacement panel filters can clog up the airflow sensor or some other such badness.

I've seen and heard about certain systems, such as HKS Racing Suction Kit, Pipercross and Ramair(?), all say they don't interfere with the MAF therefore removing the risk of MAF failure.

Can someone explain how they work, what is different from the traditional cone filters such as the 57i and convince me that I should get one of these systems rather than leaving the breathing as standard.

their introdution-this directs airflow
correctly through the delicate airflow meter and reduces the risk of airflow
meter damage as well as allowing an accurate meter signal to be sent. Be
careful of using lesser quality 'bolt-on' filters such as simple 'cones'
with no airflow diffuser or supporting bracketry.
Old 08 November 2002, 08:58 PM
Scooby Bloo
Scooby Regular

I have been warned off fitting induction kits to the MY00 turbos.
They suposedly have the most sensitive MAF sensors on scoobys.

The only induction kit which seems to not damage the sensor is the K&N 57i range. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

This thread has been done to death on scoobynet, I am sure you will agree that some people have fitted induction kits without any problems but is it worth the risk?
Old 10 November 2002, 05:25 PM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

Ive fitted a HKS Induction kit to my N plate WRX, but i found that the "green Mushroom" filter restricts the air flow
( RC Developments info used ).
So i took out the Green filter and added a HKS Super Metal flow Filter......superb air flow.....fantastic induction noise ( not too loud ) and it looks very trick under the bonnet as its all shiney....lol.
You will have to find a dealer that will split the HKS kits though as the Metal Flow filter does not come with a fitting kit, you have to make a hybrid fitting kit, using parts from a standerd HKS filter...........worth it though does the job well with no errors to speak of..ticks over nicley and pick up crisply!!!

good luck
Old 10 November 2002, 09:55 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

wrx interesting

I need a new green filter for my car, where did yuo get yuor parts from ?

Old 10 November 2002, 10:11 PM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

I used a local company called RC Developments, based in Barnton in Northwich.
there are really helpfull and what they dont know aint worth knowing if you get my drift..

www.rcdevelopments.co.uk

Old 10 November 2002, 10:24 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Question

WRX - Can you advise what you changed in more detail.

I have access to a Super Power Flow induction kit. What parts are you referring too that do not meet your approval. I guess the metal kit you talk off is the Racing suction kit ??

Any advise would be good

Thanks
Old 11 November 2002, 12:08 AM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

But did RC tell you that you'd also be inviting more crap onto maf? If a filter flows more than chances are it is filtering less. You take your choice.

Not trying to worry you WRX, as you have the early style maf which is less susceptable to damage, but from my experiance I wouldn't fit one to a MY99-00.

Remember that their are other components in your inlet tract that give you equal if not more pressure drop than the airfilter.
Old 11 November 2002, 09:22 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Forget the MAF, what about the compressor blades on the turbo. Lots a bits getting through = knackered blades!!
Old 11 November 2002, 09:44 AM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

that mesh is very very fine, you can only just about see through it
just because its not a solid foam filter do not be fooled, it does and will stop everything but air getting in. besides i ran an R5 Turbo with an open neck turbo for years with no trouble, its all a matter of placement, would not recomend this on a scooby but it was a hell of alot of fun on an R5. More to the point you would be shocked to see the amount of **** that a Green HKS lets through, scared the sh*te out of me......

thanks for the feedback its good to hear diffrent opinions

jay
Old 11 November 2002, 09:50 AM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

very interesting responses guys, thanks. But what I was really after finding out WHY certain air intakes are said not to cause a problem with the MAF.

TDi-plc.com says
"this directs airflow
correctly through the delicate airflow meter and reduces the risk of airflow
meter damage as well as allowing an accurate meter signal to be sent. Be
careful of using lesser quality 'bolt-on' filters such as simple 'cones'
with no airflow diffuser or supporting bracketry. "
Old 11 November 2002, 10:01 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

that mesh is very very fine, you can only just about see through it just because its not a solid foam filter do not be fooled, it does and will stop everything but air getting in....................... you would be shocked to see the amount of **** that a Green HKS lets through, scared the sh*te out of me......
err... no! in a word.

Had loads of different filters now, still got some in the garage.

If you can jsut about see through it, then it will let particles through which will eventually damage the blades.

Both the Green "HKS Racing Suction" and the Yellow HKS "DD Filter" filter the air quite well IMHO. Just rub you finger around the MAF housing and see how much crap is in there. Very little in my instance.

However i will be shortly changing to a K&N bespoke setup up for my own reasons.

DBS...which ever kit you go for just make sure it is secured pretty tight! I have done over 50000 miles now with different filters and only ever had one maf go, and that was after 30000 miles running and HKS Green. It was my fault though, as i had taken the vent cover off on that side and left the car out in torrential rain, loads of water on the filter and then failure. Thats what i put it down to anyway.
Old 11 November 2002, 10:01 AM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

Yes i agree whole heartedly, the cheeper you go down the scale the more risk you take, the HKS gear fitts fantasticly, very firm fitment and just enough play to insure it moves with the engine.
But as for the sensor damage...cant help you there matey, what is the worst case senerio if the MAF sensor fails? what happens?

cheers
jay
Old 11 November 2002, 10:19 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

can lead to engine failure in some circumstances
Old 11 November 2002, 10:21 AM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

Again another good point "P20SPD", i do not claim to know everything, so its good to hear other sides of the story, my experiances with the HKS setup might have been a little off as this was on a less than "new" subaru, but it still did let a few bits and bobs in,nothing of any substantial size.
but i do find the HKS Metal Flow to be a fantastic filter.

little info i found
-------------------------------------------------------------------
HKS Super Metal Flow Filter HKS Metal Flow Filters are cone shape SUS304 stainless steel woven mesh filter units. The cone design is used for optimal intake efficiency in decreasing intake resistance and maintenance. A velocity stack at the base structure of the filter inlet forms a funnel that creates a vacuum to force air in through faster and more efficiently. A titanium coating accents the metallic structure of the top and bottom plates
The filter section is made of a stainless mesh (#150) to place emphasis on lowering suction resistance and is able to reduce suction resistance lower than that of the super power flow

I know its just copy and pasted Blurb but it kinda gives a bit more detail that i can go into

hope it helps
jay

[Edited by e-volve - 11/11/2002 10:22:58 AM]
Old 11 November 2002, 10:33 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Sorry e-volve but i have read that through a couple of times now and i cant see where it says the filtration is good/better. It only mentions that air flows quicker/better and maintenance is lower!

IMHO all that this means is that it lets more crap in, therefore potentially more damaging to the car.
Old 11 November 2002, 11:04 AM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

sorry to confuse :
( ==WRX== and e-volve are the same person, just one is my old login that i use from work )

Did not mean to say the filteration on the HKS filters are better or worse, its just what im going off as with regards to RC Develpoments and there Subaru Investigations, they have found that the air flow and power gains were substanicaly better with the the Metal Flow than with the mushroom, this goes for both Subaru and Evo's, i could try and get a copy of the Dyno test and the other results if you are intrested ?...

at the end of the day i think its all down to personal preference and what your looking for in a filter, powergains, safety, induction noise or just a replacment.
this is why this board is so good, plenty of great impartial advice.

[Edited by e-volve - 11/11/2002 11:08:30 AM]
Old 11 November 2002, 12:02 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Blitz say that their stainless filter will stop particles down to 200 micron.

Most foam and paper filters will stop particles down to 10 micron.
Old 11 November 2002, 12:05 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

so which is better as im not sure on the micron scale.........
10=bigger size 0r 200=biggest size.

jay

Old 11 November 2002, 12:07 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

smaller number equals smaller size IIRC.