Notices

MY02 electrical take off points?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2002, 11:19 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Moderators, please leave here for a day or so before removing as I received no response to a similar thread in general tech after three days.
What I am looking for is a take off point (under the dash)for earth, (batt neg),no probs of course) 2, a perminant live feed, ie batt +, and more importantly a feed on the run position of the ignition switch..not the ancillery position which feeds accesories such as the radio etc.
To clarify this to you learned peeps, I have fitted Defi gauges which require a perminant live +feed and a + feed only when the ignition is in the run position.
All I require is on the ignition switch itself, but the wiring to this switch is very heavy and I was thinking there must be another connection that I could make that satifies my criteria.
Ive looked at the Ravensblade site and the info they gave was incorrect, (I checked with an AVO). Car is a MY02.
Can anyone help?
Old 01 November 2002, 08:33 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Bob, what are you trying to do ? Wire the car up to the mains to deter theives

Hope you are okay, I was in Retford last Saturday

Yorkie
Old 01 November 2002, 08:41 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

For an earth all you need is a wire direct to anything metal on the car. For P1 & P2 on the ignition, get yourself a test lead and try wires on the back of the fuse box. Make sure you don't overload the circuit tho.

And don't take my advice to seriously - I have had 3 beers now

David
Old 01 November 2002, 10:06 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

my defi gauge takes all power, earth etc from the loom behind the radio - works fine including the lights for the gauge.

Piers LoFi
Old 01 November 2002, 11:54 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

Yorkie:- No I shoot the little sods or beat them with a baseball bat!..You buying printer cartridges again?..mind you it`s time for Chrissey cards agn! isn`t it?.
Shark:- One beer would have been enough! thanks but read the thread agn!
Lofi:- mine does too...but the warning light for the oil pressure gauge comes on (alarms me) when the switch is in the accessory position, ie, the radio is on..so if I want to listen to the radio the Defi gauges are also switched on... see what I mean?
Bob
Old 02 November 2002, 09:44 AM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Bob, I only have the boost gaude fitted on the steering column but it all works ok from the loom behind the radio - oil pressure thing seems odd. Sounds like you got a decent pod sorted out though.

Piers LoFi
Old 02 November 2002, 09:50 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

With the ignition switched on, and the enginge not running of course the Defi will display the low oil pressure light. Thats the way that mine is on my MY00, it is no different to the oil light that would be on the dashboard with the ignition switched on.

Ian - Hoping to see my Scoob again at somepoint today
Old 02 November 2002, 02:24 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

Yes Ian, but on the Defi 2 system as well as the light there is a warning buzzer as well, so that you cannot listen to the radio/cd without the defi alarm sounding if you wire it up to the accessory terminal.
Hence my asking for a connection to the run position only!.
Come on chaps, is there not an auto electrician among us....
Bob.
Old 07 November 2002, 05:56 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

TTT, cannot anyone help?
Old 07 November 2002, 06:45 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Active,

I don't quite understand your last post about the warning buzzer but what I did when I installed Ian's Defi's was to connect earth to the chassis, and then used a multimeter to find which wires which feed the stereo are permanent live, switched live and switch live when the lights are on. I then fed these to the Defi control unit.

Does that help?

Matt
Old 07 November 2002, 09:24 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

I think I understand what Active is wanting to do - I think some of U may not have fully understood

He has the Defi's installed already with the switched live feed becoming live when the key is turned untill the radio is on, but not the engine.
With the engine not running the Defi's alarm will be sounding as the oil pressure(none with engine off!) is below the alarm threshold... and this alarm will be bl00dy annoying if your trying to listen to the stereo.
What he wants is a switched feed that is ONLY live when the engine is running so that he can listen to his stereo with the engine off without the Defi alarm buzzer sounding!

The question was is there a suitable feed readily available for him to do this ????

Good luck Active (Bob)

Bob (the other one)

PS. I would just use a meter to find a suitable wire, the Defi's dont consume a great deal
Old 08 November 2002, 08:23 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ah - I see. I don't think there is an (easy) way of doing this. Try asking this question in the ICE forum and you may get a helpful response.

I'm hoping to install my Defi 2's in my STi this weekend so I guess I'm gonna have the same problem. I have a vested interest now

Matt
Old 08 November 2002, 09:15 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bob, I think you explained it better than I.
Mutant, as you remove the clock unit you have all the wiring there, but as I tried to explain I require a live feed only when the ign sw is in the run position. You can take it off the ign sw direct but the thickness of the cable is too large for my purpose. earth you can find anywhere.
Dial lights from the radio or clock, (as I removed this for the Defi 3 gauge pod)
Its the live on engine run thats proving elusive.
Good idea Mutant, ill try posting in the ICE, tried general, gen tech and still carn`t resolve it. Or it`s a long job with the avo methinks.
Bob (the owd un)
Old 08 November 2002, 10:45 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The low oil pressure buzzer is new with the new controller.

Nito showed me how to kill this off when just sitting in the car.

Press "Play" and then press the "<<" button twice, this pauses the playback and shuts up the buzzer.

Not great I know but it does work as I used it just this morning!
Old 11 November 2002, 07:34 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Thanks Matt, good idea until I sort it properly. Not the definative answer though. I am supprised that no one has come up with the answer.
Ta Bob
Old 11 November 2002, 08:51 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Bob,

It would have been a nice idea if Defi had come up with a "mute" button on the controller. Maybe that is the plan for controller number 3!

Mark