Notices

downpipe...which one????

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2002, 11:53 PM
hawk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wanted advice on which downpipe would be the best for a my98 uk car...but something that doesnt eat ur ears out aswell
Old 30 October 2002, 12:28 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I think they're all pretty much the same (stainless/de-cat ones that is). Open necked ones spool up quicker but are louder than the normal ones.
In my opinion the increase in noise is a positive one as the car sounds much 'throatier'.
I use a Jap Innovations one but I think Scoobysport are designing a new one and the TSL is supposed to be quite good. As I said everyone will have a different opinion but if you stick to one of the ones above I don't think you'll be disappointed .

J
Old 30 October 2002, 09:53 AM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Jamie , you say you have the jap innovations exhaust , i have bet to buy my scoob but am weighing up options at the moment.

Boxer flat 4 said jap innovations are in crewe (was it) or at least the NW ,

what is the jap innovations exhaust like ? what are your experiences with it , what was the price ?

thanks
brett
Old 30 October 2002, 10:18 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

Jap Innovations are in Oldham.

Check out the website www.jap-innovations.co.uk

Downpipes are about £149+vat if I remember

Cheers

Rich
Old 30 October 2002, 11:57 AM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

I went for a full HKS one, sounds like satan taking a particualy harsh **** WWWWWWWWWHHHHAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG.....dont you just love the sound of a scooby at full boost......MMMMmmmm tourquy
Old 30 October 2002, 12:16 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I did write a really long reply but I got cut off AoL by an incoming call [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I WANT BROADBAND!

Anyway, The JI d/p was easy to fit apart from the connection to the centre section. I think this is probably because I already had a Magnex centre. Anyhoo, all I had get was an olive ring/gasket type thing (like a brillo pad!) which was free from Kwik Fit (nice lads actually).
The sound of the car is transformed - you wont be listening to your stereo for a while! On the performance side I seem to get more power at lower revs now and the turbo seems to spool up in an instant. This has actually put me sideways on certain corners where it had never done before the downpipe was fitted
Other people notice more top end gains and I never used to take mine much over 5.5k rpm, but it does seem to keep pulling right up to the redline now. But the bottom end gains are more noticable IMHO, maybe it's cos I've got the open necked type d/p

J
PS the pops 'n bangs are as ****!
Old 30 October 2002, 10:03 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Would recommend any make that is of the open neck(mouth) design as per TSL and Scoobsport as oppossed to the twin dump design (though there is very little in it). The TSL one is polished at the top end so it looks nice from under the bonnet too

Bob