Notices

Induction kits

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2002, 11:58 AM
stevied1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Could anyone advise me please about fitting an Induction kit to a MY00. I have heard stories of them damaging the MAF sensor, how true is this? If they are OK then what is the best type to fit, Thanks in advance. steven.
Old 28 October 2002, 12:18 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

There are alot of threads on this topic.
From my own personal experience I run a K&N induction kit on my MY00 and haven't had any problems but that doesn't mean you won't.
I have been told than K&N are the safest kits to put on a MY00.
I have also heard of ITG Panel filters causing problems with scoobs as well.
As I said I have one and have had it on the car for 6 months with no problems at all.
Old 28 October 2002, 12:42 PM
stevied1
Scooby Regular

I already have the ITG panel filter in. Some times it Idles a bit uneven now, it didnt when I first installed the panel filter. Dont know wether the green stuff may be clogging the MAF sensor, hence the enquiry as I was going to change to the induction kit. Got to take it for service tonight so I shall find out if the MAF is clogged up
Old 28 October 2002, 12:52 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well....... just fitted a Pipercross kit to my '99 RB5...... after two weeks, horribly lumpy idle, to the point of stalling every now and again.... every now again spluttering acceleration under full boost..... turned out to be the MAF sensor. Caused by the induction kit, or just coincidence? I'll leave it to you to decide.

Must admit, I've installed a new MAF sensor and all is fine again. Not even SLIGHTLY tempted to remove the induction kit as the performance hike was noticeable (as is the GORGEOUS induction roar!)
Old 28 October 2002, 04:49 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Having trawled scoobynet at great length on this one, it only seems to be MY99 onwards owners who have MAF problems from ITG air filters. The MY00 onwards just seem to be a lot more sensitive.

My summary of readings (please note this is just what I have been reading on here, I have an MY94!) would be:

1) Ensure your Induction kit is bolted to the chassis
If the MAF is supporting the weight of the cone-filter, then the MAF will vibrate around a lot, and can bang against the side too. This will (it seems) kill it in weeks.

2) Don't shake things about when fitting.
This one comes from a SUBARU dealer, who says they haven't had any problems fitting things to the MAF as long as they are supported, and the MAF is treated GENTLY.

3) Don't use an ITG panel filter on MY00 cars onwards.
Dunno why this is different, but it seems the older cars do not get green gunk on them like the new ones.

I find it hard to believe this green gunk is getting sucked through the foam of the ITG filter, so (and I want to add that this is COMPLETE supposition) I con only conclude that the filter must not be fitting in the MY00 onward airbox properly, or that the box or filter flex under load, and the 'dirty' side of the filter is exposed to the intake.

As I say....none of this has any scientific grounding...it is just what I have noticed by trawling scoobynet. Hope it helps?