Notices

Strange noise lifting off at high revs - heat shield?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2002, 09:35 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help please? Yesterday I put my downpipe cat back on my P1 and after replacing the catted dp, put the heatshield back on and promptly lost 2 bolts.

Now when I boot my car the revs go up, all seems find then the moment I lift off I get what can only be described as a noise that sounds like a squeaky fan belt. It lasts less than a second but it's doing my nut in, happens all the time.

Is this boost related? Or does it sound like a loose heat shield? Or is it the waste gate.
Old 22 October 2002, 11:01 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

It sounds like a wastegate problem.I have the same noise and people automatically blame the heatshield but my dealer found mine to be the actuator that was weak causing the wastegate to rattle.
My car is having the turbo replaced this week under warranty to cure the boost related rattle.
If you have the heatshield off try fitting a small spring from the wastegate arm onto your brake master cylinder to apply some return pressure to the wastegate and see if this cures it.
I've seen this done to an older car and it cured his problem.

Zippy
Old 22 October 2002, 02:05 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Just got back from lunch and have narrowed down when the noise is happening. I've got a Forge VTA dumpvalve so again at high revs you lift off the gas, then you get the yeeeeeek noise, then you get the thskkkkkkk from the dumpvalve.

Just a question, but if it's a faulty wastegate thingy, why did I not get this noise when I had the full decat downpipe on?

Please help?
Old 22 October 2002, 04:37 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Now you've added you have a Forge dump valve,i've heard one that sounds like its creaking when coming off boost and this is down to the internal spring in the valve itself.(Sounds like an old gate)
Speak to Forge and they should send you some different types of springs to cure the noise.

Zippy
Old 22 October 2002, 04:43 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Sorry for not giving you all the info

I've got the blue and red spring from Forge already, the blue one was ok when the decat was in place I'll try the red one and see what happens. If not I'll contact forge and get some more (think they do a yellow and green one as well).

Once again cheers