Notices

Sport Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2002, 10:03 PM
mustard160
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brothers Imprezza Sport has developed an intermittent loss of power between 1500 and 2500 RPM.

From advice received from the SIDC forum we have changed the plugs, tried plug leads and a MAF sensor from another car, cleaned all the conectors we can find under the bonnet and still exactly the same. Currently trying alternative garage for fuel, but so far its no better. It clears if it is accelarated hard through the gears, and dosen't come back for a while.

The dealer pluged it into the diagnostics and said it was the MAF sensor, but having elliminated that by swapping, now want the car for a few days to try to sort. I guess they will just keep changing things until they find it, but that sounds expensive!

Does anyone have any ideas. Help greatly appreciated by an interloper from the Elise bbs.

rgds
Kevin
Old 22 October 2002, 01:53 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin,

I know quite a few people on here (& I've seen it in real life myself) have problems with coil packs. they fail quite a lot, specially under load - so mid range, when you boot it.

probably doesnt show up when you hoon it thro all gears coz u have more momentum, so it doesnt have to work as hard.

it could be many things - MAF is another favorite, but if you've changed it for a good known working one, then that should rule it out.

You could always try an ecu reset. not sure if it's the same as on the turbo. but disconnect the battery for a good 4 hrs or so, and try that.

not much help..but worth swapping coil packs if you have another sport to rob them off!

Steve