Notices

MY01 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2002, 03:17 PM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

My car is hesitating up to 4800 rpm - the boost can be seen fluttering at 3000-4800 rpm from 14.2 to 15.22 psi - then bang hit approx 4800rpm and it's steady at 15.8psi. I've checked the ignition when the boost is fluttering and it's fluttering around 9degrees (sometimes drops down to 3degrees) ,when I hit 4800 it's up to 11 degrees and advancing.
I've checked the idle and it seems a bit lumpy (720-750rpm - ignition 10.5-13.0 degrees) - is this normal?
It doesn't seems to have this problem when it's cold it doesn't feel like it's hesitating- but I don't want to hammer it when cold to get to full boost.
The car was running fine until one day when it wouldn't start (took 3 goes) and then the problem has become inherant - I've had the prblem now for a month and no dealers can find the cause - I've had the maf cleaned and replaced it - no change
Anybody had any similar problems?

It's got a full SS decat, normal air filter and dawes (still does the same without the dawes)

Regards

Lee

Old 08 October 2002, 06:12 AM
tonymy01
Scooby Regular

I get a similar hesitation (not jerky or anything, just feels like something is holding it back).
I figured that this is just the ECU going from closed loop to open loop, as monitoring the Air/Fuel ratio shows it running lean/stoich, then as soon as it goes mega-rich (indicating open loop), then the car takes off! So in other words, this hesitation is apparent only when *not* driving with full throttle. (Full throttle immediately triggers open loop). So it runs a bit too lean for the boost that it is getting with partial throttle, and this is only due to closed loop control of the air/fuel to attempt to run at economical & environmental fueling, and thus the power delivered is poor?

I also figure that this hesitation is less noticable on a stock WRX because the horsepower and boost characteristics are a little different. The turbo is slower to spool up due to the more restrictive exhaust, and so by the time the boost is at a good level, the ECU would have popped into open loop, so "smoothening" the power/torque response curve. We are peaking it out a bit with exhaust mods etc, so the jump from slow to go is more obvious.

Does this sound like a reasonable explanation of your situation (apart from the not able to start it bit....)?
R's
Tony
Old 08 October 2002, 03:33 PM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

The car hesitates on full throttle - on part throttle it's not that noticable.

It's in at the dealers today to get looked at.

Regards

Lee

Old 08 October 2002, 04:06 PM
rex11
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have you checked your grounding connections. Sometimes if the grounds are not solid you can get hesitation. I had a similar problem on my US MY02 and it seemed to help.
Old 09 October 2002, 05:56 PM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Sorted at last!

SPARK PLUGS! - gaps were massive on them - and full of residue.

Don't know if it's because of the Dawes and increased boost/temps - bit surprised if it was the dawes as it's only been on for 2000 miles.

Also not sure if the NF was leaving residue (or optimax) - but it's running fine now.

Big Thanks to Danny at Mainland Widnes for sorting it : )

Anybody know what uprated plugs I can get for running 16.5psi?

Regards

Lee
Old 09 October 2002, 06:05 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Blitz Iridium plugs

www.performanceexhausts.net

Paul
Old 09 October 2002, 07:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The Subaru World Rally Team use Blitz Iridium!

(so do i)