Notices

Got my "select monitor" for pre 97 turbos working last night

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2002, 10:59 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using nkh's laptop, a Delphi app, a couple of paper clips and a level converter IC.

The software is a bit basic, and is bodged together as yet, but it does work for speed, rpm, battery volts and a few other things, but only one at a time as yet. (More work this weekend instead of the house )

Does anyone know whether or not you can read more than 1 byte at a time from the pre 97 ECU via a sequential memory read? I seem to remember that you can't, but I didn't try last night.

If people are interested in this, then I'll polish the software a bit more and keep you posted. (I may develop some hardware to run this standalone, but I hate coding microcontroller assembler )

Also is there a sensible source of the yellow connector "other halves", or should I cut the thing off, use a more available connector and then make up a lead so that the yellow thing can be plugged back in?
Old 04 October 2002, 11:10 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!

Paperclips seem to be the best solution so far!

We have established that block reads are not available with the pre-97 ecus, which is a shame, as it makes it considerably slower.

i haven't worked on mine for a few weeks now. Did you start with the stuff that Steve had done? I see you are both using Delphi.

Paul
Old 04 October 2002, 11:21 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I have talked to a couple of people about this, but I live way out in the sticks - (the IOW) so I've had to look at websites and read the bbs (both Scoobynet and Scoobycity.

I used the Japanese site for the ECU memory locations, as this fitted the year of my car - the MY97/98 locations are obviously different to the MY96.

Haven't seen Steve's Delphi app yet, but I thought it was the best way to go, as I found some comms utils that would work at silly baud rates

For the multiple parameter reading, do you have to stop the ECU with a "x12" command, or can you simply keep requesting locations and it transmit the last requested one? I stop it first for safety, but that is REALLY slow.

I'll know more when I try tonight. I need to get a nice lead made, so I can put the dash back together on the car...
Old 04 October 2002, 04:10 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Due to buffer problems and data synchronisation, I use a stop every time. Otherwise data builds up in the buffer, and you don't know where you are.

I have set up adjustable delay at various points, to wait for the data to travel in each direction. I can't remember the exact sequence but will look it up.

I also compare the requested memory address with the one that was returned, if they don't match then there is a problem. This isn't an issue for parameter logging, but good for tuning the timing, as you can see the errors flagging, and how they vary with the timing etc.

Paul
Old 04 October 2002, 04:15 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im working on a supplier for the connector..

David
Old 04 October 2002, 06:47 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Pavlo - I do the same (more or less) in comparing the return address with the expected address, although I just have a set of buttons on screen to request a parameter. It can only do one at once. Am busy coding now to try to get the multiple parameter thing working

DW - Great news about the connectors. I didn't like resorting to changing the connector - makes the car look bodged.
Old 04 October 2002, 11:04 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Yay! Nearly there now. Pesky bugs...

<grabs hammer to squash them>

If only Nic would let me install delphi on her laptop. I could fix the code in the car then.
Old 08 October 2002, 05:53 AM
tonymy01
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got a list of the memory locations for later models (or partial list)? I am just about to go down this avenue for an Aussie MY01 to log one or two params, and deltadash is a little too pricey and not suitable for palm/i-paq (haven't decided on the handheld yet).

Regards
Tony
Old 08 October 2002, 07:42 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to see we are all getting somewhere with these Pre97's.
I have a couple of guy's running around with the ECU adaptor fitted, both seem happy one running Stage 1 the other slightly modded 'Japanese Tuning Firm'

Just trying to get mine to spool quicker at lower revs, but leaving the WOT boost target at 15psi (about as high as I wanna go on a UK without a Knock Link).