Notices

burning smell and heat

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2002, 10:33 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k... i've managed to get rid of most of the rattles and squeaks from the car but now i've noticed that there is a pretty bad burning smell coming from it after it's been warmed up... it's just noticable if the car has been driven normally and VERY noticable if the car has done a fast off the line starts or has been driven "with enthusiasm". I'm sure it's getting worse as i never even noticed it at all last week. The car has just been serviced and is a 70k 'ish' mile 94 wrx. I've had a look in the engine bay and dont see any oil or anything that's obviously overheating (the temp gauge sits at mid way and the fans work fine). Any ideas? Would a dodgy clutch or gearbox cause this? There is also a very slight metallic scraping noise that noticable at low speed and stops when the car does, depressing the clutch/taking the car out of gear makes no difference either (and it's not the brakes thats causing it). Anyone had similar symptoms in the past?

I've also noticed a lot of heat from the underside of the car coming out from under the drivers and passengers door. My old 200sx had the same heat thing but not anywhere near as noticable. Could this heat be the cat?

Cheers,

Marty
Old 02 October 2002, 11:17 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could be the clutch - mine started to do similar things to what you described.

Now my car struggles to get up steep hills, as the clutch slips
Will be replaced next week (hopefully!)

(MY96 UK on 70k miles)
Old 02 October 2002, 06:15 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have a good look around the p.a.s resevoir and pump you may have a leak
Old 02 October 2002, 10:07 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

care3,

Funnily enough, the gasket was (supposedly) replaced on the PAS reservoir the day before i bought the car. It was one thing the dealer said would be done before i picked the car up.

Out of curiosity though, how would this contribute to the symptoms i'm seeing (burning smell, scraping). I've never worked on power steering so i'm pretty clueless as to how it works.

thanks,

Marty
Old 03 October 2002, 05:42 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the scraping noise-dunno
my pas leaked,well it had no 'o' ring in the end.it dribbles or squirts on to the engine and stinks when heated.you say it was only replaced recently so im guessing it was leaking and you have a puddle of fluid underneath the res(like i did) burning after your spirited drives
Old 03 October 2002, 06:34 PM
555-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I had a smillar problem, it turned out to be the driveshaft seal from the gearbox to the rear diff.....look under the car from right under the drivers side door and see if the exhaust is wet with oil this is what can cause the heat and burning smell as it drips right onto it.