Notices

another noise i cant figure out

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 02:53 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car makes a very slight metallic scraping noise when moving slowly. Sounds similar to the noise you'd get with a sticky brake pad but it sounds like it's coming from the front centre of the engine bay (where the belts are).

The car had been sitting in the garage for about 2 months without moving much.. could it just be something needing lubrication or is it an indication or something wrong? Do all scoobs make this noise(i doubt it)?

cheers again,

Marty. (determined to get rid of all noises other than the gorgeous engine note).
Old 24 September 2002, 12:55 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

might be cambelt rubbing on the inside of the cover,r belt tensioner has started to fail,suggest you get it checked properly, best not to leave too long.....
Old 24 September 2002, 02:21 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Scoobyslut,

Thanks again for the input. The noise i'm getting stops when the car is stationary (even if i take the revs up). When i apply the brakes they also have no effect on the noise except to reduce the pitch, basically because the car is slowing down.

I've been paying a bit more attention to it today and to be honest i can't tell if it's a metallic scraping noise now or a sucking air noise(kinda like an induction kit, and i don't have one before you ask). I'd still go with my original thought that it's something metal scraping though. Are there any other belts or anything that only move when the car is rolling?

cheers,

Marty.

Old 24 September 2002, 02:27 PM
Catalunya 051
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a driveshaft rubbing against something maybe? Or dry CV joint?
Old 24 September 2002, 02:35 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Catalunya,

cheers, I was stuck thinking about the top of the engine bay... never occured to me to check the moving parts at the bottom. It's been a long time since i drove anything with drive going to the front wheels

thanks,

Marty
Old 24 September 2002, 02:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Could be the brake disc's rubbing on the calipers??

Tony
Old 24 September 2002, 03:09 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Tony, I thought about that but it seems more from the front centre of the car.. and i'd expect the noise to stop when i applied the brake. Braking doesn't make much difference (except the car slows down obviously).

cheers.
Old 24 September 2002, 04:45 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Marty_T3

I've got the same noise and got no idea what it is, mine only happens when the engine is warm, does yours ? UK97. Could it be described as a creaking type noise ?

Hope we sort this one!

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 24 September 2002, 07:27 PM
wrxjoy
Scooby Regular

Here's a couple of ideas for you to ponder. Clutch bearings? or just the noise from the Gearbox operating normally?
Old 24 September 2002, 09:37 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Leigh,

I only got the car the other day but come to think on it... i've never really noticed it when i pull away from cold. I'll check again in the morning but i think we might well both be hearing the same thing.

cheers,

Marty
Old 24 September 2002, 09:40 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

wrxjoy,

I'll try change the gearbox oil. See if it quiets down at all. Would i be better trying a thicker or thinner oil for this? (don't actually know whats in it at the moment). Any recommendations?

cheers,

Marty
Old 24 September 2002, 10:32 PM
wrxjoy
Scooby Regular

Sorry I'm no expert, Whilst at TSL last week for a clutch and more I had silkolene (highly recomended by them,but not cheap)put in my gearbox. I actually think mine, has developed a noise, as you described, that I had not noticed before!

So who knows not me thats for sure. To be honest its hard to identify any noise with a decat downpipe and SS Backbox. Best to just find a quiet road (private of course) floor it..... and grin from ear to ear!!!

Seriously I am going to try slipping the clutch a little next time I hear it, will see if that makes any difference.
Old 25 September 2002, 09:25 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Marty_T3 & wrxjoy,

I have a decat downpipe, wrxjoy has a decat downpipe, Marty do you ? could it be as simple as a heatsheild moving round a bit or the connection to the gearbox.

Maybe this is why I don't get it when the engine/downpipe is cold.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 25 September 2002, 09:45 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Leigh,

I listened for the noise this morning when i left for work. No noise at all. Even when i was pulling in at work. It's only a very short trip to work the the engine barely has time to get up to temp though.
Looks as if it does only make the noise when warmed up.

I've only just started finding my way around the engine bay (only had the car 2 days) so i don't know if i have a decat yet. I'll try and have a look later tonight (would do it this morning but i don't fancy lying under my car in a suit).

Where abouts on the downpipe should the cat be? turbo end or mid-section end? Don't wanna have to get under the car if i don't have to

cheers,

Marty.
Old 25 September 2002, 09:53 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Marty,

The downpipe cat is pritty big, if you have a CAT there will a large swelling in the downpipe, just to the left and down of the intercooler, if you have a decat the pipe is the same thickness all the way down

No need to get under the car mate.

Leigh

[Edited by LeighJ - 9/25/2002 9:55:16 AM]
Old 25 September 2002, 10:56 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

k..cheers, I'll check at lunch time... (secretly hoping it's had the cat removed).
Old 25 September 2002, 01:53 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

k..checked for the cat and unfortunately it's still there.

Didn't get any noise when i went out for lunch there (while the car was cold). Did noticed the noise on the way back into work when the car was fully warmed up though. Definitely temp related.

I tried slipping the clutch a few times.. no difference. Also tried taking it out of gear for a few hundred yards while rolling about 30mph and the noise was still there.

marty.
Old 25 September 2002, 02:47 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Marty,

We have the same problem then I think I'll take it to my dealer on Sat and let them have a look at it.

In the meantime if you find anything out, please let me know, if not I'll let you know what Mainland say.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 25 September 2002, 02:57 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Marty,

Just read this on the SIDC site:-

There has been one incident to date of a strange mechanical noise coming from the engine compartment. It apparently sounded like a top-end engine noise, but was eventually traced to the brake pipes being too close to the bulkhead above the pedals. At certain revs, the resonating pipes vibrated loudly against the bulkhead. The problem was cured by gently easing the pipes away from the bulkhead.

Could it be this, don't know where to look for the brake pipes to try and move them a little.

Anybody know where the brake lines are and what they look like ?

Worth a try.

Leigh
Old 25 September 2002, 03:00 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Will do.... i'm gonna try have a look underneath the car tonight ... maybe see if there's anything rubbing on a driveshaft or something like catalunya said. (hoping to find a coke can jammed under the car)

cheers,

Marty
Old 25 September 2002, 10:18 PM
Catalunya 051
Scooby Regular

Coke can if you are lucky, smelly old dead cat with skull rubbing brake disk if you are unlucky! eeeuuughghghhh.