Notices

Wiring layout for stereo in a 94 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 09:35 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a note of the stereo wiring layout for a 94 Jap wrx. I have a CD player to fit to one and absolutely no idea which wire is which...and i can't be bothered buying a voltmeter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Marty.
Old 23 September 2002, 10:46 PM
scoobybuzz
Scooby Regular

depending on what type of system your gona run it might be easier to run fresh wires and make your own loom up, that way you can run decent cables ,oxygen free etc, thats what i have done, then when you come to change your car you can plug the original straight backin, no probs
Old 24 September 2002, 01:27 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice... ended up just chopping the original connector off (don't have the original stereo to plug back in anyway). I found the wire colour codes on this site ....

http://members.tripod.com/wrx_act/tech/wrx_faq.htm

Mine is a 94 WRX and some of the speaker wires are coded differently but the main ones are the same. (i'll get a note of the ones that were different in the morning.. was kinda hard to see it clearly by torchlight)

One more thing to ask though.... I was given a new Kenwood CD player (pretty cheap entry level 4x50) when i bought the car. The speakers are standard and i don't have my sub wired up yet. The whole thing sounds pretty poor. Not through blown speakers or anything... just a really cheap sound.. like you'd expect from a 30 quid budget tape deck and 2 cheap speakers.

Just wondering what to change?? Are the standard speakers any good?I know they're old and need replaced anyway. Anyone got any advise on getting a respectable sound for respectable cash?

cheers,

Marty
Old 24 September 2002, 12:08 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

D'oh, you could have just bought an adapter from any car audio shop. Cost me £9 for the one in my 93wrx and it fitted like a dream. Oh yes, I got a set of JBL's 6.5" speakers that fitted straight in and made a lot of difference. You have to be cautious when fitting new speakers coz there's not a lot of depth in the door to play with. Either low depth speakers,spacers or custom builds. I went for the jbl's coz they fitted straight in with no hassles

[Edited by Charlie H - 9/24/2002 12:12:22 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 02:31 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Hey Charlie,

Do you use a sub to go with the JBLs? Did you just replaced the front speakers? I was planning to just stick better speakers in the back (along with a JBL sub) and just keep the volume levels at the front down. I'm not much into expensive installs, just like to have a half decent sound.

Any idea how much space there is for rear speakers in the original mounts in a wagon? I also noticed that there are tweeters built into the front doors, are these factory or aftermarket? If they are factory, do they run from the same speaker output as the door speakers with a built in crossover?

any info would be appreciated,

cheers,

Marty.
Old 24 September 2002, 03:47 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Cool

Didn't bother with a sub or changing the rear speakers. Just did the fronts to improve the sound a bit. Prefer listening to my exhaust note anyway Check the tweeters, you may find they are empty! I seem to recall something about subaru building tweeter mounts but not actually putting tweeters in (although I may be wrong on that one as I thought that was on later cars)

Had a sub in my last car but to be honest the scoob sounded just as bassy on it's own so why add weight

Where is the button for your folding mirrors by the way?
Old 24 September 2002, 04:03 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Botton is behind the indicator stalk, under the Rear de-mist switch, to the right of the mirror adjust switch.

I hope you're right about not needing the sub...gonna need the boot space for a pram soon anyway. Already got the baby seat to match the interior (made a vow to bring my first born child home from the hospital in a scoob)

While listening to the Gran Turismo 3 soundtrack

cheers,

Marty

[Edited by marty_t3 - 9/24/2002 4:05:22 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 04:48 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Has my girlfriends mate round last week. Her baby was due that week so I told her if she went into labour and needed an emergancy taxi to the hospital it was ok with me

Not got the mirror button so looks like I'm out of luck