Notices

Who's got Delta Dash and do they find it a useful purchase

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2002, 07:08 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been thinking about getting this so I can see exactly what my car is up too. Will also possibly prove useful diagnosing any problems come warranty up time this Novemeber.

I'm after opinions on folk that have bought it and are using it, is it a valuable data tool, or is it something that's used for the first week or so then put away never to be used again?

Also, can it be sucessfully used to monitor for knock or does a more sensitive sensor have to be fitted to get reliable readings for knock?, oh and does it also do away with having to have an AFR aswell? (I know it's only monitoring while its plugged into a laptop and loggin)

Cheers

John
Old 20 August 2002, 10:22 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

John,

Top piece of kit and highly recommended.

No, you don't use it for the first week then put it away. I like to monitor the car every couple of weeks at least. The car behaves differently at different ambient temps so you need to make sure all is OK. MAFs go on scoobs very often and unexpectedly so it's good to monitor mixtures so that you know what's going on so as you don't blow an engine. MAFs have been the cause of engines popping many times.

Although you can monitor knock alone with it you can also see how the ECU is advancing or retarding the timing and then you have to work out why it's doing it,i.e. if it's doing it. A seperate knock sensor such as Knocklink IMHO should still be used cos you never know when an engine will det, even after filling up at a petrol station with a tank of unsuspecting bad batch of fuel and you need to be aware all the time. An AFR IMHO is not needed when you have Delta Dash cos mixtures don't lean out over night. If you monitor mixtures with Delta Dash once every fortnight it should be fine.

Have a read of these threads to get a beter understanding of what you will be monitoring.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=90011

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=92839

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...ThreadID=10204

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=113020

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 21 August 2002, 10:07 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the info Wrexy

Anyone else?
Old 22 August 2002, 12:36 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

errr, nope - or nothing to add anyway!
Great bit of kit. Endless playing
Just note how many times anyone comes up with a problem, the answer is 'find someone with a DeltaDash'. Even remotely find out the carpet is rucked up under the accelerator
Old 22 August 2002, 07:50 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

While there is plenty information, how do you know if it's good or bad? i.e. what is the baseline/norm that you can measure your car against and what should you be changing to bring things in line (i.e. tips)? The software doesn't give this, if you order the full kit do you get a manual or some info to assist? Or it it assumed you know exactly what a Tumble Valve Position Sensor does?
Old 22 August 2002, 12:20 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

You don't get a manual but on http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/diagnostics/ there is info there with what the normal figures are and you can compare. What most of us did was come on here with a pic of our logs and allowed the lads that have a better idea than us to help us out with the analysis. If you have a look at some of the links I posted above, you will see those logs and you will see the analysis that went on. Putting your logs on here makes interesting reading and gets the brain going. I knew nothing before, but learned a lot from this bbs.

Cheers,

Wrexy

[Edited by WREXY - 8/22/2002 12:22:58 PM]
Old 22 August 2002, 12:55 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Thanks WREXY, didn't see that link on their site.