Notices

my engine has blown up can u help. i need to know!

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2002, 10:46 PM
dianetimbomb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

is there a difference in the short motor,between an impreza turbo uk spec and an sti type r. the reason for me wanting to know this , i have a three yr old type r and the engine blew up on it just 2 weeks ago, the waranty company are refusing to pay out they say oil starvation, but i have had an independant assesor come in and he has proved another fault caused the oil starvation which blew the engine.they have to pay for the engine and i wan tto make sure the correct engine is fitted back in to the car so it does not loose power. it,s present break horse is about 350.
Old 17 August 2002, 11:43 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would want an equavalent spec. motor.

THe type R has in addition to the usual spec:

Forged lightweight pistons
Closed deck block (I think only on the type r)
Variable cam timing (could be fitted to another motor)
Bigger turbo (did the oil starvation kill the turbo?)
Different heads with better valves
Different cams

also:
stiffer engine mounts (just make sure you keep em)
Intercooler water spray (but this is external so no problem)

Someon on here recently had an engine rebuilt at dealer prices, and the total was £3.5k

A rebuilt STI type R engine from a breakers would be about £2.5k

A new engine would be silly money.

Your best bet may be to rebuild what you've got, so you make sure you keep your closed deck block and other goodies. You may want to pay extra to have better parts fitted too, like steel rods and what not.

Rebuild will take about 1 week I should think if they have the parts before they start, and I would make sure you go to a reputable engine builder, not just any old subaru dealer.

Cheers

Paul
Old 18 August 2002, 02:59 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Agree with the pistons, but closed deck block?? Didnt think any engines that age had this. Variable cam timing?? Again, I thought the new STI7 was the first subaru with variable cam timing. Different heads and valves, I have seen a few, and visually they look the same, even compared to UK ones, of a similar MY. Cams are apparently different.
Old 18 August 2002, 10:37 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Wink

You could present them with evidence that this has happened to a number of these engines and that there are at least 20+ people who have had the same happen to there cars on scobynet....

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 8/18/2002 10:56:28 AM]
Old 18 August 2002, 11:23 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Red face

...careful

Remember that any engine modifications invalid the warranty and their are a few enthusiasts on here who 'might' have gone down the mod route.

Certainly you could say that Subaru UK have replaced UK model engines under the official warranty due to big end failure.
Old 18 August 2002, 12:32 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

has proved another fault caused the oil starvation
what fault was it that caused the oil starvation? Or is it just known that it was something... ?
Old 18 August 2002, 01:09 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Stevie, there is a paticular STI, Type R that has a closed deck block, but only specific year/version, which one I am not sure. Also pretty sure the later type Rs have AVCS no the cams, which as far as I can tell is a trick cam wheel thing rather than something in the head.

I am sure someone can say definitively.

paul
Old 18 August 2002, 02:51 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

I have seen a few late type engines, and although the cam pulleys look different, as far as I know, the large bit sticking out, is actually for a tool to get hold of the pulley, to alow you to remove the 17mm bolt hloding it to the camshaft. Its for subaru to easily remove/tighten the pulley bolts, without having to remove the rocker covers, to acces the hex bit on the camshaft.
Old 18 August 2002, 07:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

There is an STi5 engine for sale in the for sale section, looks like 1700 quid is the offer at the mo you may want to think about this one

Tony
Old 18 August 2002, 09:23 PM
dianetimbomb
Scooby Newbie

Cool

thank you v much everyone for your help , i will keep everything you have all said in mind. i will let you know how things develope. the assessor has voted in my favour he says the oil starvation was caused by another machanical fault, not known at this present moment. but as soon as i find out i will let you all know. bye for now diane.
Old 19 August 2002, 09:15 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

You could present them with evidence that this has happened to a number of these engines and that there are at least 20+ people who have had the same happen to there cars on scobynet....
Then they will say "aah... so its a manufacturing problem. Claim rejected"
Old 19 August 2002, 09:21 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

As ever, you are far better off putting your £500 on a horse running with odds of about 10-1. If it wins, you save the money against any future potential failures. If it losses, you are in exactly the same situation as having a dodgy warranty so have lost nothing.

Some time ago I had a big row with a certain warranty company based in North London. They kept rejecting valid claims and as they insisted all failed parts were completely stripped at the customers expense, they were incurring the customer in considerable additional expense on a claim they never intended to pay. When I said I would expose them, they said "we aren't bothered, we would rather not cover Subarus anyway".
Old 19 August 2002, 01:43 PM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete,

I am having similar problems with a warranty company as well with relation to my Subaru.

I know it maybe Libellous to mention the companys name !! the company I am dealing with is in Harrow ! is it the same one ??

Any help appreciated !

cheers
Old 19 August 2002, 08:06 PM
dfullerton
Scooby Regular

Cool

Type r i live in Harrow mail me the name please.
Old 19 August 2002, 10:26 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Company shall we call them "WH" no longer cover Subarus as I found out when enquiring for cheaper alternatives to the Subaru extended one.

In the end I got the Subaru one and less than a month later they paid out for a new engine. Bargain