Parking Brake / Hand Brake

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2002, 06:19 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

A week ago, my parking brake light came on intermittently, coming
on more or less when I changed into 2nd gear and going off when the vehicle stopped. The light is now permanently on - although the brake seems to engage and disengage fine (ie: its only the light on, no the brake).

Any ideas as to why ? Something loose ? Some sort of return spring gone ?
Old 31 July 2002, 07:11 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

it means your brake fluid level is low or the float in the brake fluid reservoir is not working very well, the reason it goes intermittent at first is because the fluid level is just low enough to start it coming on. Then as it gets lower the light becomes more permanent, i know you are probably thinking what has the handbrake warning light got to do with the fluid levels but the light also acts as a low fluid warning light for the main brakes as well....
The usual reason for the fluid level being low is due to the front pads wearing, this is why the front pads dont have warning wires on them.

Rob
Old 31 July 2002, 08:19 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

So, do I just need to top up the fluid? - or should I be taking it in to the dealer to get sorted. I have been through a good few pads and disk changes lately - changed pads, then rotor cracked, then changed rotors etc. Call me stupid, but where do I check the fluid... The fluid level makes sense as the float would change level under braking and acceleration and thus intermit. Does the level subsiding indicate a leak - or could it be from normal wear ?