Notices

No 'oomf' 01 WRX UK300

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2002, 02:56 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is in the dealers today getting a once over - I have complained that the car is lacking its 'oomf' when you floor it, it doesnt feel like its pulling properly. Acceleration is smooth but no real power !

Spoke to dealer and they agree that it isnt running right ! have reset the ECU - no change !

anybody got any other clues ?

its running on OPTIMAX and has been for ages now !

HELP ME PLEASE
Old 23 July 2002, 10:33 AM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Well seeing as nobody has any input - the dealer has ordered me a new ECU !! hopefully this will fix the problem !

Im sure there are a few other peeps with this same problem - was in Subaru in Cambridge the other weekend and they have had a few cars in all reporting poor performance - an RB5 was mentioned but it cured itself !!
Old 23 July 2002, 11:37 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Question

What boost is your car running? The characteristic that you are describing can be any one of many things, but if nothing was shown on the selct monitor then the problem is likely to be from either boost, fuel (excess) or ignition (retard due to excessive boost/knock).

I'm suprised the dealer feels the need to switch the ECU - it is "easy" to prove if this a problem by swapping it with one from another car (eg the demonstrator) to prove if it is the problem.

Keep us informed when you find out more.

Duncan

PS The RB5 is a different ECU so the problem may not have been related.
Old 24 July 2002, 01:23 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Bugeye : cheers for the input, not sure why the dealer didnt just change the ECU over from a demo car, not sure if they are flannelling me or not

As for boost, I dont know ? dont have a boost gauge or whatever you call it, is it a good thing to have then ??????
Old 24 July 2002, 06:57 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Carpet

A boost gauge is worthwhile, if only to see what is going on. The more anally retentive go for the delatdash. More seriously, it isn't possible to do any more than speculate without some more info. Hope that your dealers get it sorted soon.

Duncan