Notices

CAR INTERMITTANTLY ALMOST DIES !!!!!!......HELP!!!!.

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2002, 11:11 PM
Duracell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Can anyone help?
Have developed an annoying intermittant power loss when accelerating. Happens around 3500-4000rpm,seems worse in 4th+5th gears,doesnt do it all the time+it feels just like the car is about to die whilst in the midst of accelerating.
98 Terzo,Full de-catted Scoobysport exhaust,Atmospheric dump valve,standard air box,ITG panel filter.
These mods have all been done over the last few months but no problems until now.
Went out today with some other owners+all was ok until i came to overtake a car + S**T !!! she almost died,then picked up again+ it put me in what could have been a very nasty situation!!!
Im at a complete loss as to what this may be,Does anyone have any ideas???
Is it a petrol starvation problem,or too much,or is it something electrical?????????

Thanks for reading...Duracell
Old 14 July 2002, 11:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it only happen at full throttle - if so suspect overboost, and if that is what it is clean out the oil from the restrictor or solenoid with brake cleaner, if that does not cure it you need a different sized restrictor.

If on any throttle position, could be your MAF sensor and I would be very careful and get it checked pronto.

I have just suggested the two most common causes.

[Edited by john banks - 7/14/2002 11:23:57 PM]
Old 18 July 2002, 08:44 PM
ScoobyRAZ
Scooby Regular

Sorry to 'butt in' but my MY99 UK turbo has started to act in a similar way as to that described above. I have no mods whatsoever. The hesitation happens under any level of throttle and can sometimes only last a couple of seconds or sometimes up to a minute. It feels as if no air/fuel is getting through and goes into a surging motion with no power and then some and then back to none. I have tried to pick up a pattern but there doesn't seem to be one. It can happen after only a few minutes or an hours driving, when the engine is hot or cold and at any speed.

John, if it is the MAF and I take it to a Subaru dealer will they need the car to 'do it' there and then or will the select monitor or some other gadget be able to detect any faults?

Once again, sorry for the hijack but I am getting concerned about this problem.

Thanks
Rich
Old 18 July 2002, 09:03 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

ScoobyRAZ - that sounds suspiciously like a MAF failure! Get a replacement ASAP, & make sure it's one of the new ones (just the sensor), otherwise it'll cost a fortune! Well, a fortune for a piece of plastic anyway.

Oops - forgot (again) it should come up as an error code on the select monitor, but not always... for the £60 its worth changing anyway, I think. The new ones are meant to be much sturdier (the originals were actually withdrawn in the States, it seems )

[Edited by nom - 7/18/2002 9:04:46 PM]
Old 18 July 2002, 10:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be anything Rich get it to your dealer onto a Select monitor when the fault is present.
Old 19 July 2002, 06:06 PM
ScoobyRAZ
Scooby Regular

Phoned my local dealer today and was informed that unless the 'check engine' light is on then the select monitor will not pick-up the problem. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?

Cheers
Rich