Notices

Technical Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2002, 09:57 PM
Chod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had my car serviced MY97, the garage said it felt a bit sluggish, but there were no error coded in the ECU.

I fitted a boost gauge and am only getting 0.5 bar. I cleaned the boost solenoid (with the two plugs under the dash connected and brake cleaner into the solenoid) and it clicks away quite happily. I also cleaned out all of the pipes. I checked the pipes and am confident that I have no leaks.

I fitted my dawes device and after a couple of turns am getting 0.9 bar and a lot faster car. As there is obviously a problem I didn't want to put the dawes on until I found out what it is. I took the dawes off and am again getting only 0.5 bar.

I reset the ECU and no error codes showed up.

Any suggestions.....please.....I am getting desperate now!!!

Terry
Old 06 July 2002, 11:50 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Had a similar sounding problem. I put it down to the throttle position sensor, so it got its connector cleaned with wd40 and generally given a wash and brush up. Seemed to cure it...

Have you noticed any odd fuel consumption, and does it idle smoothy?

Old 07 July 2002, 12:46 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Terry just thought what might be the problem.

Check that the pipes are in the right postition off the turbo nipple, wastgate actuator and solenoid.

This is how they should be if I can make sense of it at this time of night:

Turbo nipple should have a short pipe straight connected to another short pipe with a brass restrictor in (you can feel this in the pipe near the t peice end).

This pipe should then have a t peice in with the straight connector going to the wastgate actuator via a short pipe.

The other part of the t peice (pointing down) should connect to the solenoid valve near the drivers side wing.

I hope this helps a little more as it is easy to get the pipes mixed up and if you have them connected differently you will loose boost.

After you have checked that, give me a call and I'll tell you exactly the best route for the Dawes Controller.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
Old 07 July 2002, 08:34 AM
Chod
Scooby Regular

dnb, I will try giving them a clean and see if that solves things. Would you expect to see an error code if something like this was the problem?

Jamie, The piping is as you say, but the restrictor is inside the short pipe between the turbo nipple and the t-piece. Is this the right place or should it be between the t piece and the wastgate?

One of the pipes that goes to the Boost Solenoid also has a white plastic cylinder on it about 1" in diameter, what is this?

I feel that I need to get this problem sorted before I put the dawes back on (even though I am missing that power sooooo much).

Terry
Old 07 July 2002, 09:54 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Terry the restrictor should be in between the t piece and the turbo nipple.

Not sure what the white bit is without seeing it though sorry.
Old 08 July 2002, 08:50 AM
Chod
Scooby Regular

Still having no luck, garage time I think.

What do we think for a problem like this : TSL, Graham Goode or Main Dealer? I like the sound of being able to watch TSL at work (might learn something!).

Terry