Notices

How do you know when your big end bearing has gone????

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 06:45 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

G'day all,
How can you tell when the big end bearing of a scoob has gone??? Is there any particular noise??

Regards

Gez
Old 26 June 2002, 08:33 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

You'd know about it if it was gone. The noise is quite loud. Knocking and sort of grinding type noise increasing with revs. I heard one on Sunday at the Greek Subaru club's track day. One fellow spun a rod bearing, (big end bearing,) while on the track. It was a very hot day too, of around 37 degrees celsius. When he came off the track he complained of a noise. We had a listen which turned out to be the spun bearing.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 26 June 2002, 11:04 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

phew im sure glad i didnt buy that car .. sounds like a nightmare.
how are newera helping you. after what you said about them running it on normal unleaded it doesnt really inspire confidence.

hope you get it all sorted in the end
Old 26 June 2002, 11:05 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Many thanx Wrexy!
Out of curiosity, whats the Subaru scene like un Greece, being greek my self all i can remember from the last time i was in greece (3 years ago) was a lot of Seat ibiza's!

Regards

Gez
Old 26 June 2002, 11:13 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Hiya gravelexpress,
i was told that the petrol (1/4 tank) was used to get it through the sva! SO i think i had a lucky escape. I was told by the Gems ecu mapper that the 95 ron petrol will make engine det but if the pistons were to go they would have gone there and then, its not something which happens gradually. I think i did the right thing by filling the car up with SUL and 1/2 bottle of NF octane boost!
From my observations the ecu hasnt reduced the amount of boost that i can run and im peaking at 1.22bar which is quite normal. If any damage was caused to the internal it would have been minimal as the car was not ragged around with 95 RON.
Appart from that, shes a cracker and will be treating her to a GEMS ECU as soon as i can afford it so she wont blow up.
Old 26 June 2002, 11:50 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gez,

You did the right thing with the SUL and NF Octane booster.

As for the car scene here, there are still lots of Seat Ibizas, Fiat Puntos, Golfs, polos and Rallye 106s, however more and more scoobies are starting to appear. We had 40 scoobs at the track day and I believe there are over 150 members in the club. In my town I was the only one with a scoob (MY00 turbo) for the past 2 years and one month ago two blokes from here each bought a MY02 WRX. So the scooby scene is slowly starting to grow. I've seen a few MY02 STIs as well and there are a couple in the scoob club too.

Next time you visit Greece drop us an e mail and we can meet up if you like. We can meet up with the rest of the club too. There are a couple more in the club that post on here, including one top bloke from Scotland who posts here and visits Greece every year. I must add that the club started from this bbs, when I put up a post asking if there were any more people from Greece that post here. I received a couple of e mails and it began from there.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 6/26/2002 11:51:40 PM]
Old 27 June 2002, 09:58 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Wrexy, I was told there isn't a track in Greece? By a reliable source - the boss of Performance Techniques magazine (only published in Greece/Cyprus I think). Please tell me where it is. BTW, he also publishes a Greek edition of Max Power now.

But they have a healthy cruise scene there, in stark contrast to the UK. Here people get their cars locked up just for being there. In Greece (Chania) first you get ****-faced on the local moonshine, then do do-nuts while letting rip with your Kalashnikov That's got to be worth a visit

Regards,

Richard.
Old 27 June 2002, 12:48 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Richard,

The magazine is called Power Techniques and yes the same fellow produces the Greek version of Max Power now.

The track is at Megara just off the National Motorway, between Athens and Korinth, closer to the Athens end. Not the best of tracks, it's small and a little tight, but it does the job. to give you an idea, a stock scoob will do a lap of around 1 minute 17 sec.

I haven't been to Chania in Crete, but want to get out there sometime in the future.

However you can do your donuts etc in my part of Greece too. Plenty of free roads, free from cops too.

How do you know the boss of the mag? Do you work with them, or provide the info from the UK scene they publish?

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 27 June 2002, 01:32 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

WREXY

Get yourself down to Chania asap - the scene there is mental! I was there last October (in a hired Ibiza) and had great fun talking the universal language of handbrake turns etc. There is also supposed to be a racing scene at a local airfield, but when I went it was the off season so there was no action.

Duncan

PS There were 3 MY01s and 1 GC8 there when I was.

PPS A previous girlfriend could speak Greek, but I had to rely on the lads abilities at English - much better than my Greek.
Old 27 June 2002, 04:24 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Duncan,

I was unaware there was that much action in Chania. Sounds like there is a fair bit of it. Must get out there.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 28 June 2002, 12:49 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Wrexy, yes it is Power Techniques mag. I am ashamed by my mistake.

Though I'm not so good at reading Greek, articles on roll-centre and bump-steer such as in Power Techniques are absolutely unknown in the UK motoring press. The Greek market is small, but quite unique for reasons relating to historical taxation of large-engined foreign cars in Greece. It has spawned a market unlike anything else in Europe.

In answer to your last question: yes.

Sorry to have hi-jacked this thread. My big-ends are fine... so far

Richard.
Old 28 June 2002, 01:33 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Richard,

Don't even mention the ashamed bit m8. No big deal. We all mix names up especially the foreign ones and especially when you don't always have them in front of you.

Know what you mean about the tax thing. I was going to bring my 5.8 litre V8 Ford with me to Greece from OZ but settled for the scoob once I learned about the tax thing.

I too am sorry for the change of topic here.

I must add that my rod bearings are OK too.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 28 June 2002, 09:38 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Wrexy i know all about THE TAX THING in Greece! Bloody terrible if you want to own anything above a 2litre. But there is ways around the system. Going a few years back my uncle wanted to buy a Mercedes 500SL which has a price tag of £120,000.00 in Greece. We got around it by allowing a friend to drive it in with an english name and passport. The car was left in Greece and my uncle hasnt had a problem since. But thing will be changing soon.

Gez
Old 28 June 2002, 10:47 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Gez,

There are rumours that it will end, but it's still at the talking stages. Who knows. It has stopped the Greeks from being able to have decent cars, cos most people can't have anything higher than a 1.4 litre cos of their income. If it goes, the Greeks will be close to having the best cars in the world, cos they are crazy. They have the bug in their blood big time. They really do up their little 1.0 and 1.3 litre cars. I can't imagine what will happen once they are free of the Tekmirio (tax thing).

Your uncle is very lucky to be able to drive around in a 5.0 litre.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 28 June 2002, 01:54 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Wrexy,
Booked my ticket for 16th August. Ile be staying at a place called Nafplio near Corinthos so ile drop you an email near the time.

Gez
Old 28 June 2002, 03:23 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Top stuff. That's where I live! I'll be waiting for you.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 28 June 2002, 04:14 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Talking

Where do you live then Corinthos or Nafplio???
Old 28 June 2002, 08:51 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Nafplion.
Old 29 June 2002, 11:29 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

B****y hell mate, small world. Does the paralia still stink of s**t when you go for coffee in the morning?
Change of plan! Might be driving scoob down to greece! Any shell optimax petrol or super unleaded or is the petrol as old as the town?

[Edited by Gez - 6/29/2002 11:31:59 PM]
Old 30 June 2002, 12:59 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was just there and it stunk So it stinks at night too, offcourse depending on the tides.

It would be great if you came down in the scoob. We'll give them both a clean and take them down to the Paralia.

Last Friday, Optimax, which is called V Power racing 99+ over here, came to town. They reckon it's 99.4 RON. Cost is 1.10 euros (0.71 GBP)

So fuels available here are

NUL 95 RON, 0.68 euros (0.44GBP)
SUL 98 RON, 0.78 euros (0.50GBP)
V Power racing 99.4 RON, 1.10 euros (0.71GBP)

So a big difference in price with the 99.4 juice.

Don't know why they hit us so hard with the price. Remember, Greece has very very low wages compared to the UK.

Also you have to be careful, cos there is also V Power NUL 95 RON. You need V Power racing 99+ RON.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 30 June 2002, 12:32 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Im gonna see whats gonna happen mate. Im looking at replacing my ecu and mapping it to 97Ron before i even think about driving it to greece but i have also provisionally booked a ticket so one way or another ile definately be coming down for 10 days or so.
The last time i was there i took my uncles mercedes and took gave it some real stick up at the old mountain roads of Tripoli, i think they have built new roads now but nevertheless its the corners are awesome. Ile drop you an email with all my details of when ile be arriving etc.

Regrds

Gez
Old 30 June 2002, 01:18 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about an EcuTek remap. I have Delta Dash here and we can hook it up to your car and see how it's running. It won't work with an aftermarkt ECU though. Only works with the standard ECU whether it's re mapped or not.

As for the old road that goes to Tripoli it's called Kolosourti and it's still there. There is also a new highway that goes to Tripoli for top end speeds. Bring your car if you can. Here's a pic of mine, maybe it'll bend you a bit We'll cruise together.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

PS got to watch the rest of the cup final now. 2nd half has begun.

Old 30 June 2002, 03:05 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Well me think Brazil deserved the Cup! Might go on th elash tonight with a few Brazilian mates.
How did you upload the pic so i can do th esame with mine.

Cheers

Gez
Ps: whats the spec of your scoob??
Old 30 June 2002, 11:11 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Brazil deserved the win. They were consistent throughout the tournament.

Go to this link for some easy instructions on uploading pics.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=83052

The car is an STI type RA version 6. Only joking. Although it looks like one. It is a modded MY00 Euro/spec turbo in Sonic blue with, a 5 Zigen exhaust midsection and backbox, APS cold air induction kit with a K&N filter, Blitz DSBC electronic boost controller running 1.2kg/cm2 boost in winter and 1.05/1.1kg/cm2 boost in summer, FCD, Blitz turbo timer, Knocklink and Delta Dash. I would like to probably add a VF23 turbo and an EcuTek Tek 3 map. The STI body kit on the car is a genuine Subaru accessory option from Subaru Netherlands, which is where I bought my car from brand new. The car came with the kit already on it when I picked it up. Here's a pic just before I picked it up. The wing is genuine as you can see in the pic. You can tell from the brake light and it also has that little round lump on the underside of the top plane in the centre, which distinguishes the original wings from the replicas. Also the STI badges and stickers are genuine and correct items for the version 5/6 four door STIs. Unfortunately European countries that drive on the right, didn't get the STIs in the classic shape as they were only produced in RHD. So I got the next best thing. I loved them cos we had them in Australia and wanted one here but could not get one. If they were available I'd have bought one.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 6/30/2002 11:26:00 PM]
Old 01 July 2002, 01:33 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Wrexy, ile be travelling lite so do you want me to bring any goodies for your car???
Old 01 July 2002, 02:18 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the offer m8. I'll let you know as the time gets closer for your visit here.

Cheers,

Wrexy.